Author Topic: Magnavox Concert Grand accidental find...  (Read 7784 times)

calemstevens

• View Profile
Magnavox Concert Grand accidental find...
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:48:19 PM »
Hello, I am new to this site and these forums. The way I stumbled across it actually was looking up information on what I believe to be a Magnavox Concert Grand I just purchased from a local StVincent De Paul. I know a thing or two about vintage Hi-Fi, but mostly Motorola and RCA Victor… never owned a Magnavox. (I'm 24, so my knowledge is infinitesimal compared to some of you gents on here, I'm sure).

This console, which I have paid for but have yet to pick up from the store, comes with a matching external speaker cabined, consisting of 2 drivers and 2 horns (from what I could tell).

I was actually looking for a halloween costume when I came across it. Not needing another piece of stereo gear, I passed it up, but after I got home, I had a hunch it was something more than just another piece of stereo gear (I mean, the thing had dozens of tubes and HORNS!), and after reading all of the threads that exist on here about the Concert Grands, I realized I had made a mistake… Luckily when I arrived at the store this morning as the doors opened, it was still available. I paid $100 and told them I would be by after work to haul it off. I did test it, it turns on, lights up and plays FM just fine. I can tell the TT is going to need a little attention, which doesn't bother me. I can work on mechanisms all day… it's the guts of the amps that I hope don't need too much tinkering with. But now I know you all exist, I know the first place to come with any questions. If any of you are interested, I will upload some photos later this evening of how she looks.

Regards, Caleb

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Magnavox Concert Grand accidental find...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 02:55:58 PM »
Yes, please upload the pics. It sounds like you may have stumbled into the find of a lifetime. Be aware, the external CG speakers are far more rare than the units themselves. I can't wait to see your pics.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:25:01 PM »
The $100 CG is still out there folks!  Keep Looking!!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Caleb.  If you have a matching pair of cabinets you don't have a Concert Grand.  The Grands are always in one cabinet.
--Larry

calemstevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 12:54:24 AM »
I'll take some better pictures out of my dim lit garage when I get a chance. These should suffice for now to let me know what model exactly, year, etc...
It looks like an amp (maybe pre-amp?) was pulled out of the speaker console. But I plugged it into the secondary "External Speaker" amp and they sing! However, The Left horn (above the "hidden" record storage compartment) doesn't seem to be putting out sound.
Other notes:
-Record player turns fine and changer works great, but Needs new needle & cart.
-One glass sliding panel missing from the top of the radio console.
-From what I've read about these, i feel like the volume isn't as loud as it should be... still sounds nice and full, but at full blast it isn't really blowing me away like I though it would.. Amps most likely need going through.

Any advice/ insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 01:04:24 AM »
You definitely have a Concert Grand.  I'd bet that one is the mono version.  It has two Imperial amplifiers with 5- 6V6 outputs in each amp.  Later versions had the larger amps with 8- 6v6s per amplifier.

Bastardbus is right... there are $100 Concert Grands out there.........  ;)
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:07 AM »
It's a 1958 stereo Concert Grand (the rarest year) with a matching speaker that I've never seen before. It's an incredible find.

A unit like this needs lots of work to be used safely and sound right. If one of those large silver can capacitors fails (it's a when it fails) it will destroy your transformer and tubes connected to it. It's really not worth the risk of using it until you do a refurb. Everything you need to know and all the help you will need is available on this site.

You have a very special and desirable unit.
Pat

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 09:09:38 AM »
that is awesome.

rare unit indeed.

Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
Great find! Pat is right, don't power it on anymore until it's been recapped.

On another note, I think the "vinyl revival" amongst young people (I'm 54) is helping to save great old consoles like this one from the landfill. Here we have 24 year old Caleb, who is obviously familiar with turntables and analog audio, able to spot and appreciate this gem of a CG. Fantastic.

Mark

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »
Congrats.  That's a find of a lifetime. 

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 11:51:38 AM »
What a great console you have.  Under downloads > Catalogs and Brochures on page 2, there is the Magnavox Fall 1958 catalog which shows your console.  Model is 1ST205H.  From what I'm reading it is already set up for stereo.  The function control on the receiver panel should have a position marked STEREO.  That is for the stereo changer.  It was still about two to three years before FM stereo multiplex appeared on consoles.

Also, your companion speaker appears on page 20 of the catalog as an S-40 (no built in amp) which states it is the companion speaker for the concert grand.  There is also an S-39 which is also a matching companion speaker with a built in 25 watt amplifier for older mono-to-stereo conversions.

There should be a tag on the back of both units showing the model numbers.

Again, congratulations on saving this wonderful piece of history.
Ray

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »
I wonder why it has the smaller amps? Those amps look identical to the amps in my Continental, Serenade and Brittany.  It has two amps, whereas my mono sets only have one amp.
--Larry

calemstevens

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 12:26:49 PM »
Wow. Awesome stuff! Thanks everyone for your input. I have her unplugged, and won't power her up again until I service it. Is there a go-to site for ordering replacement caps? I know my way around a soldering gun and old electronics, but have never really tackled something like this.

bastardbus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 12:46:33 PM »
Thanks Larry  ;)

That is two of the best model CGs in the past month both under $300.

See...told ya they are out!  They made a LOT of these CGs and if you want one at a reasonable price just keep your eyes and ears open I guarantee one will come along.  Just because the BIG collectors get itchy and pay mucho dollars to have one NOW does not mean you won't find a great deal by waiting.

There are very few of us into these things and almost ZERO competition when something pops up locally.  That is the magic word and why-when they go cheap like this.  Heck...Caleb left and came back the next day and it was still there!  That says a LOT.

Keep your eyes and ears open guys...that is the fun of this hobby.  There is generally more supply then demand and good deals are to be had almost everyday!  My house is popping at the seams with stuff...I should know!

BTW Caleb...what is your general location? Just curious.

T

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »
Most of the time a set like this goes so cheap is because the owner doesn't realize what he has... how valuable these Concert Grands really are.  A good case in point was the nice danish Magnavox Imperial over in Mississippi that was advertised for $25 or best offer on Craigslist.  I'd have been over there within 4-5 hours if I had seen the ad in time.  So would have revolverone.  We both missed out on a very nice Imperial at a giveaway price.
--Larry