Author Topic: Magnavox Concert Grand accidental find...  (Read 7817 times)

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Magnavox Concert Grand accidental find...
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
Larry, the 1957 CG had one large AMP-148 (and a small companion for the stereo RTR). The 1958 that you see here had two AMP-150 variants. The large dual amps like in Shane's appeared a year later in October of 1959.

This is the first full on stereo CG. With the matching speaker it's an incredible find. Essentially the matching speaker becomes one channel and the console becomes the other in perfect balance.

bastardbus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »
That is my point though.  These things are only valuable to a very VERY limited number of people and unless one of those people live in the area you are selling, it will probably just sit if only advertised locally.

The normal public has no idea what a CG is nor do they care.  Sure, tell them it is worth $1000 or more if you get two friends, a moving van and drag this beast home, unbolt all the parts and then sell it online piece by piece, taking pictures and putting up auctions.  Most folks wouldn't deal with the profit to time and effort ratio anyway, it really isn't THAT great.  So sellers just put a couple hundred bucks on the thing and MOVE it.

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 01:09:34 PM »
Todd, just loves it every time a $100 Concert Grand comes up. When he finds his for that price he will also be receiving a bottle of good champagne from me :). And as a good sport, I'd even be willing to free up some space for him and double his money to take the dime a dozen behemoth away :)

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 01:29:48 PM »
Wow. Awesome stuff! Thanks everyone for your input. I have her unplugged, and won't power her up again until I service it. Is there a go-to site for ordering replacement caps? I know my way around a soldering gun and old electronics, but have never really tackled something like this.

Justradios.com is a good place to go for replacement caps and other refurb items. Also Mouser.com.
Mark

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 01:31:27 PM »
That is my point though.  These things are only valuable to a very VERY limited number of people and unless one of those people live in the area you are selling, it will probably just sit if only advertised locally.

The normal public has no idea what a CG is nor do they care.  Sure, tell them it is worth $1000 or more if you get two friends, a moving van and drag this beast home, unbolt all the parts and then sell it online piece by piece, taking pictures and putting up auctions.  Most folks wouldn't deal with the profit to time and effort ratio anyway, it really isn't THAT great.  So sellers just put a couple hundred bucks on the thing and MOVE it.

In all honesty Todd is correct in his assessment if one only factors in the average person. By virtue of our knowledge and networking circle one of us can maximize the value of one of these instruments by properly advertising and marketing to the right collectors. Recently a member of this site sold a nice CG for almost $2000. That was with nationwide marketing and by being willing to ship.

I think what something is worth is a different question than how much you may get lucky and find one for. This is not meant as a criticism of our friend, far from it. But I suspect very few of us who are knowledgeable about these instruments would ever consider selling one for less than $1000.

bastardbus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »
Yes, but you need to realize Pat, 99.9% of the people that have a CG and want to get rid of it are as I said "the common public".  That is why you find valuable (to us) tube equipment selling for $25-$100-$200 when (if you had the knowledge) one could "maximize" your profit.  These "common people" lack the knowledge, the means and drive to maximize that profit like a collector would have.

See, the bottom line with Pat and others who have paid out $1000 or more for one of these beasts is they have to justify what they spent AND they obviously want to keep that value of their investment UP!  Sure, that is understandable if I spent $1000 on a CG I sure as heck would be telling everyone that is what they are worth too! 

I have said this all before and received heated replies from some of the "CG clique" but the facts and finds posted on here just back me up over and over again.  The numbers are in your favor and these things can be found for a reasonable price if you just keep your eyes open.  Don't believe the hype!

I usually don't post much of my finds but I come across killer stuff cheap all the time, some of the things I have found would make you choke on your pepsi.  As proof how these type of things are out there and CHEAP, look what I found a couple weeks ago a block from my house in someone's garbage. http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=285466 I paid nothing for this thing and it is about 1000 times rarer then any CG.  I had big time collectors beating down my door for it and offering big $$$. Know what Pat?  I sold it for less then half what they offered to a newbie 24 year old collector in Kentucky who was not going to flip it or add it to the 3 others he already had.  I wanted it to encourage someone young and excited in the hobby, I got a great deal so I passed a little bit of that on. 

That being said...when I find the next CG for $100 and it is not a model I want for myself, I probably would sell it to  someone for only $300 but to someone who is a worthy cause and not one of the big time collectors that already has 3 of them!  ;)

What really makes me smile is all of these cheap CGs are falling into the hands of new and young collectors.  I think that is great and helps the hobby grow and bring in new-young blood into the scene.

Keep finding em guys!  I seriously lost count quite a while ago of how many have been found lately!  hehehe

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 03:37:12 PM »
Todd, just loves it every time a $100 Concert Grand comes up. When he finds his for that price he will also be receiving a bottle of good champagne from me :) . And as a good sport, I'd even be willing to free up some space for him and double his money to take the dime a dozen behemoth away :)
I'd offer Todd $500 for it and even make another trip up there to get it.   ;)
--Larry

bastardbus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 03:42:40 PM »
Larry, you a deserving guy and work hard in this hobby.  Tell you what....next ugly colonial CG I come across for under $500 is yours for the offer.  You don't have one and you want one more then anybody, you have put in the time and you deserve it.

I just found two CGs from one owner on the east coast a couple weeks ago.  It was a lead from the RCA RAE79 post.  Someone wanted the RAE79 and offered me the two CGs in trade.  I turned him down though as they were the colonial looking cabinets that I can't stand. 

I do know of several CG in my area as well but they are in the hands of collectors and nothing that I really want to peruse.   Besides...I like em REAL cheap!  Just wait...one of these days I'll have one to post.   8)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 03:58:56 PM »
Todd, by colonial do you mean french provencial?  Don't pick up one of those for me as I can't stand the looks of them either.  I'd take a provencial cabinet, or certainly, a danish modern.

I like this model here:

http://vintagehifi.net/index.php/topic,1510.0.html
--Larry

bastardbus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »
HAHA! Sure Larry, that is what I meant...the French Provincal.  I don't care for that... but my 86 year old grandma would love it.

Now if I find a Danish Modern Stereo like Shane's...well I would probably keep that for myself.  8)

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 05:17:19 PM »
Caleb you got yourself one very fine CG that is for sure!

IMO the Extension speaker is the REAL SCORE here!  Think about it.

This speaker would have only been purchased by someone that wanted to add a separate stereo speaker to their Concert Grand... how many of these do you think were sold in 1958? Not many is  my guess!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »
That's the first extension speaker I've ever seen with a Concert Grand. 
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 07:15:58 PM »
David has a few of the later ones IIRC, but this is the only pre-1960 model to match up with a CG that I have seen in my admittedly short time involved in vintage console hunting.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 07:28:42 PM »

What really makes me smile is all of these cheap CGs are falling into the hands of new and young collectors.  I think that is great and helps the hobby grow and bring in new-young blood into the scene.

Keep finding em guys!

I can heartily agree with this much of what our friend said.  :D

calemstevens

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 08:53:58 PM »
Ok, is it just me or has this already been re-capped....? I was expecting some larger paper caps, but some of these look brand new.
There was a sticker on the back of the console that advertised a "Jim's Vintage Electronics Store"...  Am I wrong? or does this find keep getting better and better??

I am going to need to buy a replacement diaphragm for the one Horn.