Author Topic: Magnavox Concert Grand accidental find...  (Read 8494 times)

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Magnavox Concert Grand accidental find...
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 09:49:55 PM »
It's good to see a younger person into these concert grands. I'm 32 this has been a hobby of mine for years.

Here's the deal most every Magnavox guy wants one. The concert grand sets the bar among tube consoles.

With that there is 2 schools of thought.

One is eventually the stars will allign and my next door neighbor will have one and hand deliver it to me and pay me to take it off his hands. This is very unlikely..... 

Or two, you set out to look in every avenue and when you find a good one you drop the coin on it and your done, you own it. I aggressively set out 5 years ago to get all the consoles I want. Now I enjoy helping others find thiers.

I feel this current market flood will end soon as these consoles end up with people like me who don't care about what its worth, but plan to keep it forever. Right now lots of people who have owned these since new are getting older and younger people mostly want the cash not heirloom's.

Yes this whole vintage audio thing is a nich group of people however some have deep pockets and if you have the right console in exelent condition you can get some serious coin. Most the time it takes a while.

There was a eBay listing months ago that had probably 8-12 high end consoles in Arizona. That listing ended as not sold. I guarantee someone with very deep pockets swooped in on it.

So take care of it and enjoy it. You can easily add a Bluetooth receiver to play your phone through them.

Also don't expect earth shattering bass that's not what these do. However they can deliver very accurate tight bass. You'll fell it hit your chest if you sit a few feet away. You will hear weird background noise you never heard before. Most music from the 20's to 80's sound great on these consoles. Mine have made me listen to lots of different music types now. I have some very dirty 1930's blues music too. 

Hopefully you enjoy it. Seriously though try lots of different music. The pink panther them song is amazing on these.

Congrats on a nice find!
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 10:28:49 PM »
Caleb, from the pictures you posted, both amps have been recapped.  All wax caps have been replaced, so that's very good news.  I see a small electrolytic has been replaced in each amp (the small black/gray cap with an arrow on it.....). 

However, the can electrolytics (inside the big round metal cans on top of the amp) have not been replaced.  I would strongly suggest replacing those to avoid problems in the future. 

Remove the tuner and take a look at it.  You may find it has been recapped too.

By all means clean the top of the amps, top of the tuner, etc. and clean all tubes.  I use just a dab of water on a paper towel, being careful to not rub off the tube numbers which are generally on the glass of the tubes.
--Larry

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 11:43:43 PM »
I believe that Todd is right in that the general public doesn't know what the CG is worth.  I have bought two Imperials for $75 each and I see people wanting $400 for junk.  You just have to be in the right place at the right time.  I'm planning on buying two consoles this weekend for good prices if they're still available but neither in the class of the mighty CG.

I'm only planning on paying $25 to $50 for my CG.  If it's as much as $100 I'm going to pass.   ;D  If you believe that then I have some oceanfront property here in Ky. that I'll sell ya.

Good luck to all in their searches and congrats again to Caleb.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 12:27:07 AM »
I'd buy a house full of CGs if I could get them for $100 each.  Then, I'd restore one at a time and sell them for $2K or more each.  I'd be busy for a long long time.  ;)
--Larry

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »
I wonder how many actually exist today and how many were produced of each type.

1957 300H
1958 205H
1959-61 provincial with tuning eye and with tuning meter
1959-61 Danish modern

Also which one do we consider the most rare? I'm guessing a 300H?

However of all CG's I know of I've only known of 3 in ebony finish those seem kinda rare.

David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

revolverone

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »
Wow! What a find Caleb!  You got a steal for $100.  I got lucky last month and found one about 3 hours from me for $295.  I was ecstatic.  It looks just like the one in the forum logo.

y2kbruce

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2015, 01:07:21 PM »
I wonder how many actually exist today and how many were produced of each type.

1957 300H
1958 205H
1959-61 provincial with tuning eye and with tuning meter
1959-61 Danish modern

Also which one do we consider the most rare? I'm guessing a 300H?

However of all CG's I know of I've only known of 3 in ebony finish those seem kinda rare.

I had the 1st and the last ones but both have since been sold to good homes.
The 300H allegedly also originally had the matching remote speaker with it when new but was long gone when I got it.

Stereorob

• Whats it Wurf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2016, 11:00:06 PM »
Nice find man. Looks just like mine. I picked up my 205H CG 15 years ago at a thrift store for $10. That was back in the golden days when people couldn't give these things away. Sadly I was a kid when I got it and I played it to death. Literally. I'll tell my Concert Grand stories in another thread. But I will Echo what others say here. This thing is slamming loud. I used to be able to shake everything in my house with the one that I have. It will take pretty much any type of music that you throw at it. I mostly played gangster rap and techno through mine and it sounded like somebody was parked in my garage with a boom system.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »
As another owner of a 1948 Imperial, AMP111 with quad 6L6, can anyone tell me why 6V6 tubes were used in the CG's?
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Deutschgerg

• Lexington, Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2016, 06:58:40 PM »
Calmstevens, what a great story! Thanks for sharing this great find.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2016, 07:44:55 PM »
Every serious Magnavox or console stereo collector should have a Concert Grand.  They are not for audiofiles (phools) or someone expecting them to perform like they look.  A Concert Grand to a Magnavox collector is like a Senior Packard or Duesenberg is to a car collector.  Panache and a fancy hood ornament.  Makes a statement in good taste.  A Concert Grand is an experience.  A statement of good old American ingenuity during a simpler, gentler time.

Dave, my theory is that reason Magnavox did not use the larger 6L6 amp in the CG was that the bean counters raided the project before it got off the ground. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

calemstevens

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2016, 01:40:35 AM »
I'm loving these recent comments, reviving this thread a tad.
A few times I've thought of selling mine to free up some space in my house that is already cluttered with old hifi equipment... but then I pull out that knob and the tubes start to warm, and that sweet sound fills the room. That's when those thoughts of selling slowly slip away!

Here's a video I took a while back. Took all your advice and have since replaced the can electrolytic since the video was taken. Thought some of you may like to hear how she sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5PvlgTmqRo

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2016, 09:23:14 AM »
Every serious Magnavox or console stereo collector should have a Concert Grand.  They are not for audiofiles (phools) or someone expecting them to perform like they look.  A Concert Grand to a Magnavox collector is like a Senior Packard or Duesenberg is to a car collector.  Panache and a fancy hood ornament.  Makes a statement in good taste.  A Concert Grand is an experience.  A statement of good old American ingenuity during a simpler, gentler time.

If you speak to pre-war car collectors, the general consensus is that nothing drives like a Packard.

Dave, my theory is that reason Magnavox did not use the larger 6L6 amp in the CG was that the bean counters raided the project before it got off the ground.

It would have been cheaper to use 6L6 tubes because they could have used less of them.  The 6V6 is a better tube for hi-fi use.  The 6L6 is good where you simply need power, like in a guitar amp or a jukebox.

Deutschgerg

• Lexington, Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
Caleb, thanks for sharing the video of your CG. Enjoyed it.

Regards,

Greg

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »
Hi Caleb,

I'm a little behind at looking at the forum and just discovered your find.  Wow!  I also enjoyed your YouTube video of it playing.  Great song to show it off with as well.  My kind of music.  May I ask were you are located?  You may PM me if you prefer.  Thanks for sharing and congrats.

Bill