Author Topic: Adding "Tape Out" Connection  (Read 755 times)

83glt

• View Profile
Adding "Tape Out" Connection
« on: December 23, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
So the 1961 Zenith console I just finished restoring has a "Tape In" connection for reel to reel - or whatever other aux input. I'd really like to have a corresponding "Tape Out" connection if possible. I have high end cassette decks that I would love to use to record FM broadcasts and even reference lp recordings off this console. Is this possible? I'm a newbie with basic electronic skills. I can manage the skills such as re aping, etc., but have limited understanding of the theory. so I ask for your patience!

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
Re: Adding "Tape Out" Connection
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »
Do you know what the general output voltage for tape outputs are? If they are 1-2v usually then perhaps you could connect an RCA connection to the 12AX7's in the amplifier. Basically just tie the positive the positive connection to the grid of the 12AX7 though make sure you do that with a coupling capacitor in line. I could be wrong, but that's how you'd send output that's preamp-ish levels. Chime in and prove me wrong, anyone!

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Adding "Tape Out" Connection
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 05:19:33 PM »
Not proving wrong, but just suggesting a way to borrow a design.  Go and find almost any tube hi-fi preamp or integrated amp schematic and examine the tape-out circuit.  These were almost universal on stand-alone high fidelity components.  Or check out the RCA tube manual with the circuit designs in the back.

Chris Campbell