Author Topic: Danish Cg alert  (Read 13879 times)

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
Danish Cg alert
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:01:23 PM »
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Danish Cg alert
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 10:03:33 PM »
Sorry I can't can't copy pics.

I doubt anyone gets this for 200 bucks............. So open up the wallet or get a small loan.

Not mine BTW.
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

Magnavoxland

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 12:18:34 AM »
Wow, I may have to hock the house!  This Concert Grand is simply superlative... flawless... looks like it came right out of the original shipping crate. 

Magnavoxland

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:58:10 AM »
Only issues I see is that he has converted the Micromatic to a strickly manual turntable.  I wonder why he would do that?  I don't even see the post for the drive wheel on the changer.  I happen to love the automatic mechanism in the Micromatics... I presently have 5 of them..... and I'd hate to have to always play one manually.

Also, he indicated the remote is missing.

All in all a very nice piece, and David, you're right, it won't go for $200.   He may be limited somewhat by local pickup only and the fact he listed this in an eBay section of mostly solid state cheap table radios.  

Anyone want to guess its final sales price?  I'll say $1295.

bastardbus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 03:09:41 AM »
He probably converted it because he could not figure out how to properly rebuild it.... ::)

As well...I see two different woofers.  Supposed to be that way???  I know mag did that in some mono units but I see no benefit to it in a Stereo.

I think the BIG down point of this unit is he restored it.  I always prefer and pay more if the unit is unmolested.

Nice piece though...all the issues seem to be fixable ones.

T

Only issues I see is that he has converted the Micromatic to a strickly manual turntable.  I wonder why he would do that?  I don't even see the post for the drive wheel on the changer.  I happen to love the automatic mechanism in the Micromatics... I presently have 5 of them..... and I'd hate to have to always play one manually.

Also, he indicated the remote is missing.

All in all a very nice piece, and David, you're right, it won't go for $200.   He may be limited somewhat by local pickup only and the fact he listed this in an eBay section of mostly solid state cheap table radios.  

Anyone want to guess its final sales price?  I'll say $1295.

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 06:23:07 AM »
It's a very nice unit and can probably be restored the rest of the way without too much effort.

Take a look at the bottom of the cabinet, it's been "ported".

y2kbruce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 06:47:10 AM »
Found this guts photo from 2012 of another similar CG and it also had the 2 different woofers.
I remember reading in the literature they used two different magnet woofers to enhance the stereo effect too.

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 07:57:55 AM »
On this unit the speakers share an enclosure that's connected left to right. The two different bass drivers have different resonant frequencies that compliment each other and prevent "flat" notes according to the Magnavox literature. They even patented the system. Notice the two rectangular holes on the bottom of the cabinet. Those have been cut out by an owner of this unit. They're not original, my first CG had the same dubious improvement made to it. I restored mine back to original.

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 08:47:05 AM »
actually those port holes cut into the unit provide a better bass response.........

or so I have been told

;D ;D ;D

kidding of course, not a major issue to patch up, I think Pat may still have the template around to restore this back to original
Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

revolverone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »
I'm going to say it will sell around $2000 seeing that VM Stereo 45 Player on eBay sold for over $900.   

Magnavoxland

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 11:59:13 AM »
It may not go for as much as we think simply because he listed it a strange place.  He'd get $2K for it if he had listed it under Magnavox consoles.  Wouldn't it be something if someone gets this really cheap?  There's no reserve on the auction.

Magnavoxland

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »
I see two different woofers.  Supposed to be that way???  I know mag did that in some mono units but I see no benefit to it in a Stereo.

I think the BIG down point of this unit is he restored it.  I always prefer and pay more if the unit is unmolested.

Nice piece though...all the issues seem to be fixable ones.

T
Todd, all Magnavox stereo sets are like this with different woofers.  My 1958 Berkshire stereo is like that.  The 15 inch woofer in the auxiliary speaker cabinet is different than the woofer in the main cabinet.  The Imperial that I had was also the same way.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:34:36 PM by Magnavoxland »

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »
I really always wondered why they did the wooofer thing. I'd love to hear a genuine explanation from the original paperwork(?). I know the technology was rudimentary as far as actual design went. The "breakthrough" research and "theile/Small" parameters didnt come until the early 70's, if memory serves.

But sound is "directional", depending on how good your hearing can discern, from about 200hz and above(ish). I haven't done the math, but Magnavox supposedly crossed the biamp amps over at about 1.3k? So having have to cover the 200hz-1.3khz while using 2 different speakers, with one having a substantially larger magnet, and likely output, seems weird. On paper, you would/should be able to hear one side louder than the other(if balance is set in the middle and everything else is working correctly)
Of course i've never heard a working CG, so i can't say it doesn't "work".

I bought the guts of an Imperial this summer with the 182 "Divided Frequency" stereo amp from a guy who trashed the cabinet, and it had a 35oz Alnico woofer(Black plastic bell cover) and a Ceramic Woofer(Hockey puck magnet-same as i've seen on other Imperials)

bastardbus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 12:57:18 PM »
I'm going to say it will sell around $2000 seeing that VM Stereo 45 Player on eBay sold for over $900.

Shane, funny how now that you own one the value to you has GREATLY increased.   ;D 

You can't really compare the value of two players and the CG isn't worth more just because it is bigger (lol). That little VM Stereo 45 player is one of if not the RAREST record players EVER made.  A Concert Grand is very VERY common compared to it.  These little 45 players are extremely collectible and routinely out sell consoles in price all the time.  Of course you have to take into consideration demand and ship-ability as well.  Both have pluses and minuses but it is apples and oranges and you can't really compare the two.

The more folks post this on the net and talk about it the higher the price will go. This guy couldn't have asked for better publicity.  A lot of the big collectors who would pay big money seem to have multiple CGs already and 90% of the CGs selling recently have gone for under $300.  It will be interesting to see what it sells for restored with big publicity from folks on here.

T

Magnavoxland

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 01:16:38 PM »

Take a look at the bottom of the cabinet, it's been "ported".
I wonder why he did that?  He should have left the underneath of the cabinet, and the Micromatic changer, 100 percent original.  I hate it when people go modifying things, adding jacks for ipods, extra switches, etc.