Author Topic: 1957 Motorola Imperial Masterpiece  (Read 1442 times)

tlarwa

• View Profile
1957 Motorola Imperial Masterpiece
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:49:48 PM »
Just wanted to share some pics and info on my beautiful Motorola.  Picked it up for free from a family friend, who was the original owner.  It's in superb condition, and works beautifully after a recap (thanks to many, including Pat, for the help with that!).  It is mono (stereo versions were introduced the following year), but has 2 speaker units.  The speakers are loaded up with quality EV components, and it appears that I was the first person ever to crack them open (to clean the pots).  The unit sounds superb, especially on period-correct music (Miles Davis, e.g.).  Enjoy!

Tom
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:12:15 PM by tlarwa »

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: 1957 Motorola Imperial Masterpiece
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »
Hi Tom,
That unit is just beautiful. I love the pushbutton volume control. Thanks for sharing. Pat :)

stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 12:30:59 AM »
That is a beauty!  Here is my 1957 Motorola Masterpiece that I completely restored, including cabinet stripping/repair/refinish.  My folks had one when I was a kid, so I was happy to find this one.

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »
Thanks for posting your Motorola stevel and welcome to the forum  :) You did a very nice job restoring that console, it's now ready for the next 50 years of enjoyment. I really like Motorola consoles, I find them to be of high quality, relatively common where I live, and generally inexpensive. I'm presently restoring one for a niece and her husband. I have the blonde two piece Masterpiece unit in my personal collection. The speakers in mine are all Electro Voice. It was the top model they sold the year it was made, It's almost identical to the one in this post, except in stereo. Pat

Thanks to tlarwa for starting this topic and getting us talking about Motorola's. I hope to see many more on the forum  :)