Author Topic: Grille cloth removal  (Read 841 times)

magpie

• View Profile
Grille cloth removal
« on: January 15, 2016, 10:44:43 AM »
I'm having trouble removing the grille cloth on my new Imperial. I've removed the screws holding the small aluminum strip across the top that seems to anchor it in place, but the board that holds the cloth still feels firmly attached. It is simply stuck from the passage of time?

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Grille cloth removal
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 03:47:26 PM »
It may be glued on to keep it from sagging or wrinkling. Working on 1930's console radios, I just cover up the old with the new.
I have a 1962 RCA console with torn and stained cloth I plan to cover up with something similar from tubesandmore.com 
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »
Normally there are three or four wooden corner pieces at the bottom back of the speaker board that have to be removed first.  Then, tap it gently from the back with a small hammer, and she should come right out of the front.
--Larry

magpie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:41:45 PM »
Ah, many
Normally there are three or four wooden corner pieces at the bottom back of the speaker board that have to be removed first.  Then, tap it gently from the back with a small hammer, and she should come right out of the front.

Ah, many thanks, Larry. I've removed those little wooden pieces and will now try giving it a few taps.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 03:56:45 PM »
Be careful.  Unless you've removed the speakers, they will come out the front with the grill board.
--Larry

magpie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
I'm hoping that's what happens. I want to bring the board/speakers/etc. out as one assembly (hopefully very carefully).