Author Topic: Fisher Electra VII stuck in my truck  (Read 1350 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Fisher Electra VII stuck in my truck
« on: January 29, 2016, 11:37:13 AM »
I was called by someone who saw two tube consoles I had for sale at an antique mall booth - He had a 1964 Fisher E49-IP that he wanted to sell me.

The thought of another console and making room in a chaotic and over crowded garage-shop (in the middle of a construction project) is the last thing I want and almost said no, even before looking at it.

But, after another appointment I had in the area was pushed back an hour, I had to go look. Unfortunately I had some cash with me and ended up with the Fisher and a functional 1976 GE 10" Porta-color TV for a Ben-spot.  :o

Pictures to follow....
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Fisher Electra VII stuck in my truck
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 12:15:08 PM »
That's what you get for going over there to look...lol.  But, sometimes you simply can't resist buying another one.
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »
That Italian Provincial style cabinet is probably my favorite of all the Fishers... It fits with almost any style of decor!

And I have to say that you STOLE that console for $100... The color TV is just the cherry on top!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 01:59:44 PM »
I thought you were going to say it was stuck in your truck and you couldn't get it out!
Mark

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 04:25:55 PM »
Funny thing that I have an identical TV in much poorer condition. with my luck not much will be wrong with either, so I cant scrap one of them.

The Fisher was bought at a NYC department store by the seller's Mother for her grandparents (his grands), who enjoyed music to an extreme. His parents did not share this love of music, but he did. He inherited it in the late 80s and used it during his college single years...... then his wife requested that it not grace their living room.  :'( So it sat in their garage until last night.

I went to see it in my extended-cab compact truck, expecting my fair offer to be spurned. But upon seeing its worn physical condition and spare tubes, etc. A clue to long playing hours, several questionable EL84s were under the hood like so many worn spark plugs. I saw one in the chassis was circumferentially cracked, so I swapped it before a cautious power up. The hum became deafening, even with the volume at minimum as the receiver warmed up and some radio could be heard through it. I explained that it needed the replacement of capacitors as a minimum and possibly a volume control and of course, some new tubes. being a musician, he understood the order of magnitude cost involved just to restore it. That alone is what made my offer seem reasonable.

After cash changed hands I did not want to put it or the GE TV in a snow-filled truck bed. So in the back it barely fit.
Unlike three recent lower-end SS Magnavox acquisitions under repair, it cannot go into my dry but ice-cold garage.
It will be carried into our unfinished room addition and likely stay there ;) as I hurriedly get the electronics restored. I can't believe I found a Fisher tube job, other treasures will have to wait. :-[ I need REAL music to finish the construction.  ;D  Then and only then will I restore the "distressed Walnut"  ::)cabinet.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 04:52:30 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to the Fisher family!  Italian Provincial is a rare and beautiful cross between French and modern. 

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 05:15:46 PM »
It will look good once it is all cleaned up and the cabinet shined up.
--Larry