Author Topic: Recommendations for fitting a magnetic cartridge into a micromatic tonearm.  (Read 3322 times)

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for fitting a magnetic cartridge into a micromatic tonearm.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 07:49:49 AM »
Nice find!
Mark

Alan Maier

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »
The key reason for the ceramic was the flip-over stylus to allow playback of 78's. While Magnavox dropped the 78 speed for a short time, and they switched to a "T" shaped stylus - this was short lived due to buyer complaints.

I'd think they would have run a magnetic on the Custom Imperials, but as a total twist - those had *4* speed changers still!!! I have yet to figure that one out. They also had a special short control tower and did NOT have a light in it. The armoire models had a compartment light, the horizontal ones left you in the dark for both the changer and the reel to reel.  At least the tuner pulled out a few inches so you could use the controls without getting on your knees.

ha1156w

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 01:07:02 AM »
If it's any consolation, I have a Magnavox/Collaro 748 changer component, and it's 3 speed with an Audio Technica AT11? cartridge.  Standard 1/2" mount cartridge, but with 78??  They never offered a larger 78 stylus for that cartridge that I'm aware of.