Author Topic: Tube Testers  (Read 687 times)

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Tube Testers
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »
I saw these two tube testers today at the antique mall. The $60 one has a bunch of cards . I think you would stick the card into the machine that corresponds to your tube and it sets it up for you so there is no guess work? The other one is only $20.It is Conar. I have not bought either one yet. Are these any good?

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Tube Testers
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 11:38:09 PM »
Both appear to be emission testers, the simplest and least sophisticated kind.  That's what I've got, by the way, so I'm not sneering.  The Conar has the same basic layout as mine.  I have a Heathkit that I built and a Knight that I bought at a sale for $10.  The Knight and the Heath are virtually identical.  The Conar has moved a coupe of the controls into different positions. 

The scrolled chart gives you the settings for each tube.  You set the filament voltage, the current range, and one other and then flip the toggles to connect various pins to the cathode or the grids and plate.  All the grids and plate are connected together to measure total cathode emission.

There's not much that can go wrong.  I'd be more inclined to pick the Conar because you can always figure out the connections from a tube manual for any tube not shown on the scroll, whereas with the other one, if you're missing the magic card, you're outa luck.

Chris Campbell

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Tube Testers
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:59 AM »
Thanks for the info. I might buy the small one.