Author Topic: Finally Pictures from Bill  (Read 6152 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Finally Pictures from Bill
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:33:01 PM »
Well I finally have some pictures to share!  The first is my Grandparents RCA Victor home entertainment center (I believe it was called the Brandywine, beautiful all maple wood cabinet and very heavy).  The TV is long gone :( but the stereo is all there, solid state with 8 speakers, great sound.  Next is my 1957 Magnavox Berkshire.  Found that at an antique store which led to the other finds all at the same store.  They just had them hid in their secret back room.  Next is the Magnavox model 3ST657A stereo.  Not sure if it has a model name or not but the info that came with it states it was purchased by Edward Schultz at Gimbel's, November 17, 1962.  It uses 4 6BQ5 tubes in the amp.  Finally there's the Motorola model SK52W in the Drexel cabinet.  Date code on the amp is 9M60.  It also has the reverb unit. 

It has taken me a long time to get them cleaned up (didn't want to bring them into the house) so I could take the pictures.  The Motorola was the worst.  I'm not sure where it spent its life but they were not nice to it.  It was covered with drywall dust, drywall mud, not sure what the sticky stuff was on the top (you can see the dark spots), and of course mice had called it home.  The Berkshire also housed mice but at least no drywall stuff....just normal dirt.  The Maggie Stereo was the cleanest, just years of dust.  I disassembled all three of them one at a time, cleaning, scrubbing, polishing, what every it took to get them clean, reassembled and then finally they came into the house.   Next is the restoration process.  Not sure what one will come first, me thinks the Berkshire, but we will see.  It will probably be a month before I start and I am sure I will need your help, as a matter of fact I will post some questions in the Chat room for the Motorola. 

Thanks to everyone,

Bill

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Finally Pictures from Bill
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »
Bill, the 1957 Magnavox Berkshire will be your best sounding player once you get it restored.  I have the 1958 stereo two piece Berkshire, and it is without a doubt my best looking, and best sounding, console. 

Here are pictures of my Berkshire.  I negotiated a deal for it on eBay, then traveled to Greenville, SC to pick it up a year ago this month.  These pictures were made by the seller for his eBay auction.  If I had to keep just one console and part with all the other four Magnavox consoles that I have, the Berkshire would be the one that I'd keep. 
--Larry

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »
Thanks Larry.  Your Berkshire is beautiful and I really like the white changer.  Do you have two amps? Or did Magnavox split the 4 6V6 tubes?

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 03:52:26 PM »
The white Micromatic was not original to this set, but was installed by a previous owner.  I absolutely love it, and it works flawlessly and is quiet as a mouse.  I love how the tone arm raises and taps the edge of records to determine correct record size.  I liked it so well that I have installed Micromatic changers in all my other 1950s Magnavox consoles.  I had to slightly modify the plinth on all of them to accept the Micromatics. 

This set has an Imperial amplifier with 6- 6v6 output tubes.  It only has the one amp, but believe me, that's enough.  It will blast you out of the house.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 04:09:45 PM »
Bill, the original platter mat was hard and discolored, so I ordered a replacement white mat, and trim ring, from Gary at VM and installed it on the platter.  It looks really nice.
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 04:58:41 PM »
That's a nice looking Berkie!

Your other Magnavox is a SYMPHONY-SWEDISH CONTEMPORARY found on page 19 of the 1961 catalog that is in the downloads section of this site.  It should be a good player too when serviced.

The Motorola unfortunately looks like it will need a complete re-do on the cabinetry to make it look new. It is also a good sounding console once refreshed.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 08:21:52 PM »
Larry........so with 6-6V6 tubes, three per channel?   Maybe someday I will understand all the different models and there names.  Like what makes a Berkshire a Berkshire and a Imperial a Imperial?   So many models.

Ken.....thanks for the info on the other Magnavox.  I will look in the downloads.  I thought I read them all pertaining to Magnavox but must have missed it or thought it did not pertain to my model.  This Magnavox I tried after I got it cleaned up.  Had to change out the 5U4 tube and then it fired right up.  Right channel is full strength, left channel is about half the volume of the right.  I also had to soak the tuner shaft in penetrating oil to get it to move.  Moves and works great now.  Just the short time I had it playing I can tell once redone it will sound great.   

Thanks again to both of you,
Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 08:27:35 PM »
PS....to Larry,  I will need to order a mat as well but not for the Berkshire but for the other Magnavox.  It's all cracked and hard has a rock.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 09:19:49 PM »
Ken,

I did go to the downloads, but didn't notice page two that's how I missed it.  This is the part that always confuses me.  It states 15" woofer with speaker for the tweeter.  I have 12" woofer and the horn.  I did more looking and found another download that shows the same cabinet but also states 15" woofer but this one has the horn.  Not sure how I got the !2" woofer but I did.  My model number starts with a 3 and I noticed the ones in the catalog start with a 1.  Possible production or run change?  Food for thought.

Thanks Ken,

Bill

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 01:30:39 AM »
Well Bill, the Magnavox numbering/naming system is still something of a mystery. Most likely your console is a 1960 model which would/could have had another number designation and different component content.  This is one of the things that, hopefully, over time, we will be able to flesh out the available documentation as well as compile a significant number of actual numbers from members consoles that we will be able to better identify a console from the numbers.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »
Ken,

I am offering every number that I could find listed below.  I hope this helps to the mystery of Magnavox numbering/naming!  As I stated before I have the original warranty certificate filled out by the dealer and it states that it was sold November 17, 1962.  I know it could be a left over model from 1961 which would work for your 1961 download you had me look at.  The difference between the download catalog and what I have are the speakers.  Do you think the first digit in the model could also indicate the run number?  Download catalog shows model starting with a one....mine starts with a three and that is also my run number.

Model:  3ST657A
Run number: 3
Serial:  19440805
Cabinet:  JC-2-44.        694174-6.      657-N. Walnut
Tuner:  7909-10      4-44-232
Amplifier:  M30      543267       9304-10 night      636826-8
Changer:   Imperial Micromatic
FM Multiplex:  2  485         637373-2
Woofer:  581206-1        272042
Horn:  580059-1
Diagram:  EL-1845-2

That covers all the numbers/info I could find on all components.  Spacing between numbers means the different numbers I found one that item.  I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Bill

PS  I also have the original owners manual.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 09:33:07 AM »
My understanding (subject to being wrong!) is that the Stereo Symphony was started as a 1961 model.  I have not found a reference to the 9300 series amp before then.  It may also be a one-year-only model.  I have not seen a 1962 brochure, though.  The horns would tend to place it somewhat later than 1961.  The codes you posted do not follow with any I've seen.  I think it's fair to say that anything with the 9300 series amp will sound pretty good.  My Stereo Symphony is a '61 and has 8 cone speakers. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 07:09:55 AM »
Thanks for your input.  All of the models, and names, and types are new to me so I'm learning.  Are you as big a Buick fan as I am or is Electra 225 just you name for this site?

Thanks,

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 05:45:09 PM »
My grandfather worked for Buick.  I don't remember a time there was not a Buick around.  Grandpa bought a new '63 Electra Custom Coupe, triple black for my grandmother for their 40th wedding anniversary.   She did not like driving the Buick, as it had more power than her '52 Packard.  Grandpa gave the car to me and I still own it.  I was in the auto restoration business for several years and specialized in Buick and Packard.  Grandpa retired from Buick after 45 years of service, in 1963, because he believed that nobody would buy a Buick without Dynaflow and those damned newfangled alternators would be nothing but trouble.  I'm happy to make the acquaintance of another Buick and Magnavox fan!   :) 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »
I came of driving age in the 1960s and in my mind GM had the others all beat.  My best friend's grandfather had a 1961 Olds Starfire convertible that I thought was the coolest thing ever.  I've still got the 1961 Chevy convertible that my Dad bought on March 28, 1961 (was looking at the title just the other day).  And in 1966 I bought a 1938 Buick Special 4-dr., a restoration project that stalled a couple years later. The '38 is a straight 8. I will have a lot to do when I retire..... 

Chris Campbell