Author Topic: Finally Pictures from Bill  (Read 5284 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Finally Pictures from Bill
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 10:25:53 AM »
I locked this thread last night because it got completely off topic and turned into a discussion about antique cars and daily drivers. Today I decided to unlock it, but please limit discussion here to Bill's console collection.  Any further discussion of cars in this thread will be removed.  If anyone wants to discuss cars, please start a new thread in Chat.  Thank you.
--Larry

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 11:11:24 AM »
I think most of us could go off-track :-X with cars but Bill's 1960 Motorola SK52 is a very nice example of Drexel Cabinetry. The chassis numbers begin with "HS-".

That Motorola of yours makes no effort to hide the 15" woofer 8) , unlike my '64 in the avatar.

Getting the "walnut" finish just right might require a total redo. It sure is the most popular and sought-after cabinet style, considering the others Motorola offered that year.

From 1958 on Motorola used 6BQ5 outputs like everyone else but my 1963 SK112 and 1964 SKR151 use p-p 6V6 tubes for all three channels. ??? So, I suspect Motorola had tube socket heat issues
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 11:13:40 AM »
I've often wondered how the Motorolas compare in sound quality to the Magnavox tube consoles.  I like many of their better cabinets and components.
--Larry

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »
I've often wondered how the Motorolas compare in sound quality to the Magnavox tube consoles.  I like many of their better cabinets and components.
This is just my $.02 - Magnavox had the upper hand when it comes to speakers.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 03:28:11 PM »
This is just my $.02 - Magnavox had the upper hand when it comes to speakers.
I figured that.  Magnavox's top of the line speakers were much superior to RCA's speakers also.  However, by the mid 60s, the speakers in Magnavox consoles weren't any better than Motorola, RCA or Zenith speakers.  In fact they look very similar.
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 11:41:03 PM »
My two cents would be that Magnavox was king of the hill in audio in the tube days.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2016, 06:16:52 AM »
My two cents would be that Magnavox was king of the hill in audio in the tube days.
For consoles, yes.  For consolettes, I'd have to give the nod to RCA. 
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2016, 10:54:09 AM »
Allow me to re-phrase, then.   ;)

For one-piece, solid wood,  tube push-pull amplifier, AM-FM tuner with FM stereo compatibility, and a four-speed record changer in a cabinet from 42" to 62" long and not over 32 inches tall, available in cherry, mahogany, walnut, antique white or ebony finish, Magnavox  was king of the hill....... 8)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2016, 11:19:47 PM »
I'm a little late to respond, but just comparing the 15" woofer in the Magnavox Berkshire to the 15" woofer in the Motorola......there is no comparison.   Magnavox takes the lead.  Not sure of the sound of either yet since I have not started rebuilding the components on either one.  Cabinet quality the Motorola with the Drexel cabinet takes the lead, although the Berkshire is nice.  I'm looking forward to comparing the two if I ever go home so I can work on them.  Right now I'm enjoying sunshine and have no desire to go home to snow and cold.  :)

Bill