Author Topic: Ristaucrat Jukebox 45  (Read 3225 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Ristaucrat Jukebox 45
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:27:18 PM »
I've been wanting a Ristaucrat jukebox for some time, and tonight I bought one from a restorer in California.  I generally don't buy anything totally restored, but this changer mechanism is quite complicated so I thought it was best to buy one from a restorer who's familiar with the mechanism.  It's a really cool machine... two plays for a nickel... and he installed a relay switch on the mechanism that allows you to play two plays for free simply by pressing the coin return button at the top of the jukebox.  The jukebox has a nice power transformer operated amp with huge audio transformer, three octal tubes, and an 8-inch speaker for very impressive sound.  This jukebox built by Ristaucrat in Appleton, Wisconsin, in 1950.  They were sold to diners, hot dog stands and other commercial establishments wanting extra income from their patrons.  In 1950 a nickel could buy a lot of things....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhrlCCx0igk&list=UUioAE8DS8FPqhrD8kFoSNwg&index=1
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:33:41 AM by Magnavoxland »
--Larry

bastardbus

• View Profile
Re: Ristaucrat Jukebox 45
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:53:35 AM »
That is awesome looking!  Bet it cost you more then any console you have ever bought! 

T

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 01:24:07 AM »
That is awesome looking!  Bet it cost you more then any console you have ever bought! 

T
Yes it did.  These Ristaucrat jukeboxes don't come cheap.  I bid on one that ended last Sunday and lost out in the last 10 seconds.  That one restored went for $1324.  I paid considerably less for this one, and the cabinet is actually in better condition than the other one.  Sometimes it pays to wait.
--Larry

bastardbus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 02:24:55 AM »
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal then.  That is a nice looking-working one.

I came across 2 or 3 of them at a BIG music machine auction they have in Michigan but they were un restored and pretty beat up.  They went for like $400-450 ish.  I would pay $1000 for a restored one like yours all day long.  I love the red lights in it.

Myself I would love to get one of the selector ones....but those seem REALLLLLYYYYY rare! 

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 02:33:25 AM »
Todd, it has two C9 Christmas tree lamps behind a frosted glass plate right behind the changer.  I ran across these cool, slow phase-in color changing LED bulbs today, so I bought a pair of them.  I think this will be super duper cool in the jukebox.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291630998214

The selector Ristaucrat model S-45 will easily bring over $2K unrestored.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 02:43:56 AM »
Here is some great background information on Ristaucrat, and the Ristau brothers who invented them. 

http://phonojack.com/Ristaucrat%20Collection.htm
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 02:39:49 PM »
Glad you were able to find a nice one Larry!!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »
That brochure made me grin.  One of the special features is "Can be regulated as soft or loud as you wish."  That is, it has a volume control.  Imagine that....

Chris Campbel

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 01:02:01 PM »
That brochure made me grin.  One of the special features is "Can be regulated as soft or loud as you wish." That is, it has a volume control.  Imagine that....

Chris Campbel
That "volume control" must have been a new invention.....  ;)

Imagine that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkTku3Sz1iY

--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 04:50:24 PM »
The Ristaucrat arrived today, and she is working great except I have to make a slight adjustment on the needle set-down.

The LED color changing bulbs are phenomenal looking.  The dome is perfect... the imperfections you see are reflections.

--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 08:12:57 PM »
Well, the changer crapped out on me within two days.  The seller didn't even clean it good underneath.  He did as little as necessary to get it running again.  There was broken wiring all around the motor, a power cord that was broken in several places.  Well, you get the picture.  What happened is I was adjusting the needle set-down with the changer outside the set, and an exposed wire from the power cord contacted the motor board, shooting fire out underneath.  That took out the credit coil completely.

All was not lost, however.  I sent the changer up to Chris Cuff, who's a member of the Record Players Group on Facebook, and an expert on Ristaucrat changer mechanisms.  He totally dismantled it, cleaned every single part, and reassembled it.  It got all new wiring everywhere, a new credit coil, new idler, new motor mounts.... the works.  He even replaced the entire platter/spindle with a good Ristaucrat one since the spindle was broken on mine.

Here she is back... all installed... and working like a dream.

--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 09:23:42 PM »
Wow that's really disappointing to hear Larry.  You paid good money for a "restored" set and then had to pay some more money to get it fixed right!

Glad that it's all better now.   8)
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 09:27:40 PM »
Wow that's really disappointing to hear Larry.  You paid good money for a "restored" set and then had to pay some more money to get it fixed right!
Glad that it's all better now.   8)
Fortunately, when this happened, I immediately emailed the seller and told him about what it would cost for a pro to fix it right.  He apologized, and refunded me $200, which paid for the changer to be done right.

Ken, I'll tell you, this thing has absolutely amazing sound.  Really loud with outstanding fidelity and very nice bass.  It sounds better than some consoles!
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »
The sound totally blows away any RCA 45 player.  It has enough volume to fill a skating rink... seriously, it does... and with NO distortion.

This one has an awesome power transformer amp made for Ristaucrat by Webster-Chicago.  Check out the huge audio transformer!
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 10:12:54 PM »
WOW that is big!

Nice to hear that the seller was quick to make things right too.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!