Author Topic: Crimes Against Consoles or Things that you never want to see happen...  (Read 8298 times)

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
As I spend more and more time trolling the internet looking for vintage beauties to save, restore, and enjoy, I am frequently shocked at some of the things that I see people have done to what may have been an otherwise nice console! With the popularity of all the DIY shows on television these days everyone seems to think that they are a designer, or that if something isn't particularly useful to them that they should find a way to "up-cycle" it by making it into something else.

I start this thread with a couple of examples that I found in the southwestern part of the US, but they could have come from anyplace.

CAC - Don't let this happen to a console near you!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Crimes Against Consoles or Things that you never want to see happen...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »
Oh boy, you're bringing back memories from my childhood when my mom and her creative sister's "antiqued" anything that didn't run away from them.  ;)

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 09:11:25 PM »
yeah now it's the stupid "chalk paint" craze....
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 07:02:00 AM »
Oh boy, you're bringing back memories from my childhood when my mom and her creative sister's "antiqued" anything that didn't run away from them.  ;)

Same here, my Mom "antiqued" a mahogany dresser and it took days to bring the wood finish back. I also have a rocker in that same vomit green awaiting restoration.
Mark

Curtis W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »
Hi  I've got a sad story to tell.  Yesterday I went to a vintage stereo store in Aloa Oregon for the first time. In the store there was a lot of nice 1970's solid state gear. But right when you entered the shop there was a beautiful Fisher console. This console looked like it was made to compete with the Concert Grand, and it was as close to mint as you can get. It has the doors that open in the front to expose the beautiful fisher tuner/amp with a pull out shelf for the Gerard record changer. I wish I had my camera.
When I asked the owner about the console he said that it wasn't for sale, he said he was working on a deal with his ex business partner. He then said that either way it was going to be parted out, by him or his ex partner. He said it was worth $1800 in parts and was to expensive to ship. I told him I didn't have $1800 to spend and it didn't sound like it was for sale anyway. To that he had no reply. He also told me that the console had just kind of fell in his lap or possession. So I'd be surprised if he really has a lot of cash invested in it.
Another funny thing he told me. He said he just bought a Variac to power it up. I asked if he had powered it up yet. He said he hadn't had a chance yet. The strange part is, that earlier, the shop owner told me that they would work on the phone stage of my Harmon Kardon. I wonder how much work they do without a voltage regulator. Maybe they would have farmed my amp out, but there was a guy in the back working on something. I can tell you my amp won't be going to that shop. I'll probably try to figure it out myself. Anyway the name of the shop is "Investment Audio" and is near Portland Oregon. If anyone is interested. Someone please try to save this one.  Regards. Curt
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:07:08 PM by Curtis W »

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 03:08:07 PM »
This is not an unusual story as the Receivers & Amps from these old Fishers are highly regarded and much sought after by the Audio crowd. I hate to see any console torn apart simply for it's components but sadly most folks do not value consoles as highly as those of us here do. As long as it's possible to get more $$$ for the individual components than for the console as a whole, I fear that this practice will continue, and all that we can do is to fight against it by rescuing as many consoles as possible while educating those around us to their growing collector value.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Curtis W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 09:27:22 PM »
Yes I know your right. But it sill upsets me when you see such a beautiful instrument and a peace of Americas audio glory days,being torn apart. It's not so bad if it's a lesser quality model or the cabinet is all beat to hell. But this one is so nice. Oh well we can't save them all. :(

KaimanaStar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 04:00:04 AM »
Magnavox had a green painted finish on a few models beginning around 1968. Earlier, either 1963 or '64, had two Italian Provincial sets with a green stained finish.
Here's the late '60's factory green, and a tube Silvertone that the owner whimsically painted  pink and gray, because he claimed the cabinet finish couldn't be saved.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:01:50 AM by KaimanaStar »

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 07:33:25 PM »
This makes me sad.... Poor Regency Symphony.  :'(

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/for/4708118345.html
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »
I don't like to see consoles taken apart, either.  Same way with old cars.  The hard fact is that there are people who are interested in the money the parts will bring.  And we have parts for more fortunate examples.  If some undesirable somebody did not commit atrocities against consoles, we might be barking up a stump trying to fix one. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

KaimanaStar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 05:58:15 AM »
I've always hated seeing a console dismantled, unless it was too far gone to restore. I saw a Windsor cabinet years ago, over on the next street in a house. I just saw an Aegean Classic stereo theater completely gutted as well.

As far as old cars go, if it isn't complete and factory, my opinion is that it's trash. Nothing I hate worse than finding some rare item "improved" with custom sound systems, candy paint, and 60 inch wheels. By the way, I've always loved the big Electras, I love the 1963 and '64 models.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 10:36:10 AM »
I hate to see the older cars with those goofy looking wheels on them, as well.  I fail to see the fascination with those ugly things.  Those big wheels mess up the fender lines that some body engineer worked months on to get just right.  The '63 Electra 225 Custom hardtop in my avatar has been in my family since day 1.  I have a picture of me, all of 13 years old, pounding the hubcaps on it at the end of the line in Kansas City in September 1963.  It is one of the last '63's built before the factory changed over to 1964 production.  It has every option available in 1963 with the exception of cruise control.  It had that and I disconnected it, since I felt it was unsafe.  Cars that have been "modified" can, many times, be put back in proper order.  I put a '54 Skylark back to original one time that had been mounted on a late 1970's Blazer four wheel drive chassis!  I had to replace the frame and the entire drivetrain, but I put it back right.  The "fishtank" and "guitar amp" crowd are actually more ominous.  It is harder to replace the guts in an old TV or stereo than it is to put a car back to original in many cases.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

KaimanaStar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 11:15:35 AM »
The forever car! What a great story! There was a '63 6 window pillarless hardtop with few options and wind up windows on Craigslist recently, I think in Massachusetts. Owner suggested it could be rat rodded!  :o  >:(

Hopefully these donk dorks will start leaving our old cars and electronics alone, and start appreciating them for what they are. If I want a new stereo or car, I'll BUY them, not some shell with 2014 innards in them.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »
My eyes My eyes....   :o
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

KaimanaStar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »
Mmmmm yes, sitting on the curb, waiting for the trash collectors.