Author Topic: Favorite loudspeakers?  (Read 1314 times)

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
Favorite loudspeakers?
« on: February 13, 2016, 08:07:10 PM »
Since this is the general forum, I guess we could have a go. What you are your favorite loudspeakers you guys have had? This can span from in built console speakers to separates. So far, my favorite speakers have been my Magnepan MG-I's, as flat as you could ever want but need major power. Opinion may change when my Tympani's arrive.

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite loudspeakers?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:05:35 AM »
My favorite are my fairly rare Mirage OM-7s from 2001. They feature mids and tweeters firing front and rear in phase and deep enough bass to negate the need for a subwoofer. Friends that have heard them say you'd have to go way up the chain to best them.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/949/index.html#bToLHZJilXHy2BAx.97
Mark

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:24:41 AM »
My favorite are my Altec Lansing 820C.  My 2nd best would be my Klipsch Chorus I.  I have a pair of Acoustic Research AR9s and a pair of Yamaha 690s waiting for new surrounds.  They're both supposed to be good but I don't know where they'll end up as far as which ones I like best.

Curtis W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:41:45 AM »
My favorite is  the ADS 910's.  The Only drawback is the take up a lot of reel instate and weigh just over 100 lbs. each. 

Skylabs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 10:32:31 PM »
I've got a beat up old pair of AR 2ax's that have outlasted a good dozen other speakers I've brought home. I think Henry Kloss was to speakers what Steve Jobs was to computers. Today speakers and enclosures are built using computer programs. He revolutionized speakers with his ears and science.

I always have 2 sets of speakers and two amps in my listening room though. I have a Fisher 400 tube amp running my 2ax's and a Sansui AU 20,000 running a pair a JBL lx44's. I like closed speakers with tube amps and ported on SS. I pretty much just listen to vocal/organic music on tubes and anything fast-tempo/rock/super-produced on SS.

By no means do I consider myself a snobby audiophile, but listening to metallica/skrillix on tubes to me sounds as bad as Daina Krall/Elvis Presley on Solid State.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 01:50:10 AM »
To me Metallica/Skrillix sound bad no matter what they are played on.   :o
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Skylabs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »
To me Metallica/Skrillix sound bad no matter what they are played on.   :o

Sometimes I just want to hear how far people are pushing music production. I get the turn-off. That music is not written for me either and my SS gear gets very little attention, but the kid in me still loves well recorded exaggerated music just to hear what is possible sonically.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 11:13:31 AM »
We all have our guilty pleasures.  Most of my listening is on modern equipment of pretty good quality, giving accurate playback response.  But sometimes some inaccuracy is fun and pleasurable.  One of my fun memories is the system the local record store would play records on for you when I was a kid.  The transcription turntable was behind a Plexiglass shield.  Under it was a big enclosure with some sort of 15" speaker and an invisible but substantial tube amp.  When the stylus his the lead-in groove there was a big thump and then the big salesroom filled with music.  It always sounded way better than at home.  It probably did not attain perfect accuracy but it certainly made for a good experience on pop material.

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »
I am "biased" toward the pair of ADS-L620 2-ways I bought in 1981. Being a HS graduate at the time, I chose to spend some gift money, $450-IIRC on these speakers to use on a Dynaco SCA-80 SS integrated amp.
I was both new to listening and not yet aware of how many good recordings existed at the time.

While true that both Rock-Metal and classical-instrumental music can expose weaknesses in speakers, I chose to audition my intended purchase in the store on a forgotten mid-grade phono-amp combination.
While I'm sure there was some great LPs to try, I chose "Hey You" from Pink Floyd - The Wall. The presentation of the sustained bass at the beginning sold me.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 09:11:17 PM »
Currently in my Living/Listening Room is a pair of Altec Lansing model 100's that I have had since the late 80's... I keep buying others and always wind up going back to the Altecs.

Currently I'm searching for a pair of Roger Sound Labs "Elan" towers. 

RSL was a Southern California Speaker Manufacturer and as a teenager I spent many MANY hours in the local showroom bugging the heck out of the salesmen "auditioning" the different speakers that they sold.  The Elan and Nevada were my favorites but were way beyond the reach of my newspaper-boys income.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 11:56:08 AM »
In 1982 I purchased a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers.  They are still part of my stereo system.  The Heresy's are a three-way speaker system that have a HF horn, midrange horn, and 12" woofer.

My system consists of a Hafler DH-200 100 watts per channel power amp, a Hafler DH-110 Preamp and a Hafler DH-330 FM tuner.  For a turntable I use a Technics SL-5200 with a Stanton 681 III cartridge.  I also have a Technics CD changer and a Marantz professional cassette recorder.

The speaker I use in the den is a 1958 Acoustic-Research AR-2.  That system is used mostly for listening to 78s which the AR does an excellent job for sound quality.  It is connected to a Fisher 500 mono receiver and a Garrard Type A changer with a Stanton 500 cartridge.  I also have a Garrard SL-95B that I use for playing LPs and 45s and it is also connected to the Fisher.
Ray

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 07:25:32 PM »
Interesting to read what people use as "daily drivers" beyond their consoles.  In about 1983 my KLH Model 17s seemed a bit smallish for my living room, and I had lost one of the tweeters (early lesson in the dangers of under-powered amplifiers being more dangerous).  So I went shopping and ended up with some Genesis speakers.  There have been several companies using that name; this one is Genesis Physics (1975-1987, New Hampshire company).  Mine are Model 210.  The surrounds on the drivers and passive radiators were foam and they died all at once--just when I was having thumb surgery after an iceboat accident.  I opted to buy rubber-surround replacements from a former employee who has a company that specializes in reviving these.

The experience reminded me of the benefits of the cloth-surround woofers on the old KLH Model 17 speakers.  There's much to be said for quality and durability.

Chris Campbell