Author Topic: speaker crossover caps  (Read 893 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
speaker crossover caps
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:19:22 PM »
My main living room speakers are some older ones from a defunct company called Genesis Physics.  It appears that about 3 companies have made speakers under a Genesis name.  This was the one that was doing it in the later '70s and early '80s.  They're two-way speakers with a passive radiator.

Recently somebody suggested it would be wise to replace the old crossover caps with new film caps.  This speaker used a single choke and capacitor, an 8 mfd. nonpolarized electrolytic.   I replaced them with film caps from Parts Express and the difference is quite surprising--the highs are much less fatiguing than they had been.  Maybe it's just confirmation bias or the placebo effect, but I'm quite pleased.

Chris Campbell

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: speaker crossover caps
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 01:48:55 AM »
I have replaced them on some consoles and consolettes, and others I didn't replace.  If the set sounds good with nice crisp highs, it might be a waste of money. 

I'm thankful my Magnavox bi-amps don't need any crossover capacitors.
--Larry

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:31:03 AM »
it is always wise to recap your speaker crossovers. I have done it all my Altec's and the difference was huge.

Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:44:19 AM »
Mark

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 09:50:57 PM »
I have read before about how capacitors "age-in" initially, with the effect of the change showing up over a few hours' use.  That was my experience here.  And the effect was quite pronounced:  I've been listening to lots of LPs and other recordings that just weren't much fun any more before I did the job. The highs are very clean and not fatiguing.  Big improvement, and much more than I expected. 

Chris Campbell