Poll

How Should We Determine Magnavox Console Model Years

A "Console Model Year" Is the year it was introduced in the Magnavox Catalog/Brochures and first sold.
21 (55.3%)
A "Console Model Year" is the same as for cars, Fall 1957 Catalog models are 1958 models.
13 (34.2%)
Don't know, have no opinion.
4 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Properly Dating Magnavox Consoles  (Read 25985 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Properly Dating Magnavox Consoles
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
1957 or '58 is gonna be real close.  I don't believe I have seen that model before.  The "stereo" position on the function switch sways it toward 1958, but there was a stereo tape deck in the 1957 300H Concert Grands as well.  Tube codes and speaker codes may be needed to get closer. 

As to the survey of how to date a Magnavox, I vote "none of the above."  My vote would be for build date, rather than sale date or date a model was in the catalog.  Magnavox mixed and matched components that were not in the catalog.  Magnavox was typically sold in music stores or furniture stores, so may have sat on the floor into the next model year.  Magnavox purposely made its products difficult to date, perhaps so they could set in a furniture store and not appear to be obsolete before it got sold.  I would rather refer to an instrument as a "43rd week of 1959" and let everybody come to their own conclusions.  Whether that would be a late 1959 or an early 1960 is a matter of conjecture.  The fact that we know it still exists and that someone is restoring and enjoying it 50+ years after it was built is good enough for me.  Perhaps a listing of all the instruments owned by members of this forum, along with tube, speaker and turntable codes would be useful to try and figure out what Magnavox was thinking.  Include as well the models numbers of the amp, tuner, MPX adapter and changer.  Do that for tube and solid state models.  Include any model nomenclature, such as Concert Grand or whatever.  The tractor guys do that and it is helpful if you get an item and are trying to figure out what you have.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

dos0711

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2018, 10:23:22 AM »
Hello!

I'm going to acquire this Magnavox and believe it to be a 1962. But would like to get the expert's opinion...

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 11:59:02 AM »
There should be a small model number sticker on the back of the cabinet.  It should read 1STXXX or similar.  It has FM AFC, so it is at least a late 1961 on.  I do not see that model in the 1961 nor the 1962 catalogs.  The model number in this case will give us a clue where to start looking.  Whatever year it is, it is a tube Magnavox and you can't go wrong!  Good luck.

Edit: Model 1ST292, 1962.  I failed to notice the detail on the front of the cabinet.  Old age, I guess.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.   :-[
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

dos0711

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »
There should be a small model number sticker on the back of the cabinet.  It should read 1STXXX or similar.  It has FM AFC, so it is at least a late 1961 on.  I do not see that model in the 1961 nor the 1962 catalogs.  The model number in this case will give us a clue where to start looking.  Whatever year it is, it is a tube Magnavox and you can't go wrong!  Good luck.

Edit: Model 1ST292, 1962.  I failed to notice the detail on the front of the cabinet.  Old age, I guess.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.   :-[

Thanks! That was my guess as well. I'm looking forward to picking it up!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »
I'd sure recommend a good tune-up electronically before you use it much.  Filter caps, paper coupling caps and maybe resistors at least should be replaced.  Good luck.

dos0711

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 05:22:11 PM »
He sent me a demo since it's a pretty good bit from me...

https://youtu.be/1RkFk9yoTBg

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 05:27:55 PM »
I'm not surprised that it works.  It sounds to me like the speed is not right.  Lots of wow and flutter.  The fact that it works does not bely the need for a little maintenance like I mentioned earlier.  They all need it after 50 years.  If you bought a 1962 model car right out of a barn, would you drive it without performing basic maintenance and having it looked over by an experienced mechanic?  The fact that it works means it will be an easier restoration.  Good luck.

dos0711

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 06:56:15 PM »
I'm not surprised that it works.  It sounds to me like the speed is not right.  Lots of wow and flutter.  The fact that it works does not bely the need for a little maintenance like I mentioned earlier.  They all need it after 50 years.  If you bought a 1962 model car right out of a barn, would you drive it without performing basic maintenance and having it looked over by an experienced mechanic?  The fact that it works means it will be an easier restoration.  Good luck.

Believe me I do understand. Here's a little GE tabletop I restored...

https://youtu.be/RX6r_YpJYvU

dos0711

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 07:19:07 PM »

dos0711

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2018, 07:50:01 PM »
So the Magnavox is in my possession now! It is indeed a first run ST-296 as per the sticker on the back. I pulled the back off and it has all the original caps! Won't be plugging it in! It is really cool how 'modular' it is! One module for power, amplifier and tuner. This is going to be fun...except for the tuner...looks like it might be more difficult to get out. Amp and power supply are a breeze!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2018, 08:56:53 PM »
Tuner is not hard, but is awkward to handle.  If the turntable is by the tuner, you should remove it first to give more room to work.  There are two bolts in that compartment that need to come out to remove the tuner.  Take the knobs off, remove the bezel with the dial in it (be careful, the dial is glass).  Unplug the wad of wires with the Molex connector on it either at the amp or the MPX adapter.  Disconnect the antenna wires.  If the amp sets under the tuner, remove it as well. Two more bolts in the lower end of the mounting bracket.  You need to hold the tuner with one hand while you remove the bolts with the other.  Be careful not to drop the tuner.  Good luck.

dos0711

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2018, 05:34:41 AM »
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. It is appreciated.