Author Topic: Silvertone Model 1061  (Read 2919 times)

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Silvertone Model 1061
« on: February 29, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »
I bought this Little Tube Silvertone yesterday for $25 at a new spot. The top wasn't in the best shape but it cleaned up rather well with some Restore.It has a little removable speaker that slides into a hole inside the console.It also has a long speaker cable so you can place it outside of the console. I can't find much info on it.

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Silvertone Model 1061
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 08:58:02 AM »
That looks nice.  Even has the 45 adaptor.  Have you tried it yet to see how it sounds? It's kind of neat that the removable speaker hides under the lid in front of the controls, never seen anything like that before.

You never know what's around the next corner waiting to follow us home.  Have fun with you new toy.

Bill

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 09:51:19 AM »
I plugged it in for a quick check and nothing powers up. The electronics look all original and untouched .

HiFiFun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:25:05 PM »
Welcome to VHF !
That is a really nice looking and modern designed Silvertone.
Sears did have some really cool cabinets, though their amps left a lot to be desired.

Yours dates from approximately late 1960. See Sams photofact: 517-12.
Power output from 1 per stereo channel of 35C5, cousin to the ubiquitous 50C5
power tubes. Doesn't have a power transformer: silicon rectifier and string heaters
design. PC board mounted electronics.
Won't have a lot of power, but with the nice wood cabinet and speakers x 3
(8inch, 6inch, 4inch), I bet it will have nice fidelity.

A nice unit for $25 dollars !
HFF

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:04:42 PM »
Thanks for the info on the console. I think this new spot I found (Top Secret location) will supply me with some older consoles.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 10:05:20 PM »
Not fair, top secret....it's too far a drive for me anyway.  ;D  I hope you can get many more!

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 11:23:22 PM »
So who was building the electronics for Sears at this time?  Some of their tube electronics were built to reasonable standards.  Of course, there were price levels, and if it's a single-ended amp, this one probably isn't the top of the line.  But I'm just curious who might have been manufacturing these things.

Chris Campbell

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:31:52 AM »
So who was building the electronics for Sears at this time? 

Most of the electronics were built by Colonial.  The record changers are Crescent.

Ken D.

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 10:18:29 AM »
I have some new competition in my area buying the same stuff I like. I have to keep it a secret in case he looks on this site.

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 10:20:34 AM »
All's fair in love, war and console hunting...

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 06:43:17 PM »
Over what period of time was Colonial the supplier?  I've got the 1940 console radio, a 1956 (+/-) tabletop TV, and a few other misc. radios from Silvertone.  I did a search on "Colonial electronics" and get lots of those fake yellow-pages, pay-us-for-info sites but no history of the company.  What is known about them?

Chris Campbell

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 07:16:27 AM »
"Colonial Radio and Television"  As I understand it, Silvertone radios from the 1930s through the 1950s were made by a couple of different companies, Colonial being one of them.  I seem to remember reading that by the 1960s Sears actually owned Colonial.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 09:47:42 AM »
I'm getting a history lesson on Silvertone, I like that. Did Silvertone every have anything of the quality of Magnavox, RCA, Motorola, etc?  My memories of Silvertone products are mostly solid state.  They had some nice cabinets but the sound of the SS models was just so/so. 

Bill

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 11:29:04 AM »
The tube guitar amps were made by Danelectro and Valco and others rebranded as Silvertone.
Wards and other department stores did the same thing, from the same manufacturers.
I've never seen anything, hifi or guitar amp that i would call "high Quality", but that doesn't mean they didn't have any. The guitar amps SOUND cool, now that they are considered "vintage", but probably were not so well regarded in the day compared to Fender/Gibson/Etc.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »
I have my late uncle's Silvertone steel guitar and its amplifier.  Circa 1955 or so.  The guitar is mostly chrome and the amp has five tubes, with P-P 50L6 output tubes.  It has an eight inch speaker and sounds pretty good for what it is.  My understanding is that Silvetone musical instruments were held in high regard back in the day.  I have several items of Silvertone electronic equipment.  Radio, TV and maybe a record player or two.  I would not consider anything sold under the Silvertone brand to be horrible, but also do not consider it top-flight, either.  I have a little Silvertone metal radio that is a twin to the Arvin 444 and was made by Arvin.  I have a Silvertone 27" black and white TV console that was my dad's,  It has an RCA clone chassis, and made by Warwick.   I have heard of Silvertone TV's being made by Sanyo and Admiral.  Sears sold to a price point, not to a level of quality like Magnavox and Zenith.  They bought from whomever would sell to them the cheapest with an acceptable level of quality.  Comparing Sears to Magnavox or Zenith or Packard-Bell or whomever is comparing apples to oranges. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....