Author Topic: Silvertone Model 1061  (Read 3216 times)

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
Re: Silvertone Model 1061
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »
I'm getting a history lesson on Silvertone, I like that. Did Silvertone every have anything of the quality of Magnavox, RCA, Motorola, etc? 

In the 1930s Silvertone sold some very nice radios on par with Zenith, along with the higher-end Philco and RCA sets.  Post WW-II I don't believe they matched the quality of Magnavox or Zenith, but their top of the line sets were certainly decent. 

Silvertone electric guitars were generally inexpensive guitars, but they have the sound that some people want and they're considered pretty desirable.

Ken D.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »
"Colonial Radio and Television"  As I understand it, Silvertone radios from the 1930s through the 1950s were made by a couple of different companies, Colonial being one of them.  I seem to remember reading that by the 1960s Sears actually owned Colonial.

Colonial of Buffalo was bought by Sylvania in 1944, yet continued to make some Silvertones for Sears and Roebuck.
This website is a great resource for anyone with a Sylvania http://www.vintagesylvania.net/?page=history

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

darrenwgaransi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 11:31:51 PM »
I have a 1947 Silvertone console with AM/FM Shortwave, a 78 rpm record changer and a wire recorder. It sounds absolutely wonderful.