Author Topic: Console Obsession - how did it start for you?  (Read 4128 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Console Obsession - how did it start for you?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 07:56:59 PM »
My father announced that he had made it--had established himself in the world and could make discretionary purchases--by buying a 1951 (??+/-) Magnavox console.  That was even before he bought the first TV.  We called it "the Magnavox" and it was for Dad to operate.  Later, I knew that I had made a major step in maturity when I was allowed to play records on it.  Once on a trip to the "big city," Detroit, we visited the legendary Hudson's department store.  There was a hi-fi department, with component gear (I remember the huge E-V speakers, Georgians perhaps).  The salesman asked what Dad had.  He replied, "a Magnavox."  The salesman granted that it was the next best thing to real hi-fi. 

One of these days the Magnavox will get replacement caps for those perplexing old dot-value devices. 

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 08:25:04 PM »
Correction to my last post--the E-V speakers were Patricians, not Georgians.  Huge big corner horns, designed by Klipsch, with two HF horns and an 18" woofer.

Chris Campbell

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 02:01:59 PM »
How's this for thread resurrection?  ;D  My console obsession began when I saw an ad on my work classifieds for a free Zenith. The woman's mother was moving to an assisted living facility and they were cleaning out her home. I knew nothing about consoles really, except that I remember my parents having one in the "off limits" living room. Turns out that this is the top of the line 1971 Zenith. I fall in love with the sound but not so much the Mediterranean style cabinet. That gets me started on a CL scouring mission to see what is out there. Fast forward a few months and I now currently have 4 stereo consoles in my garage. The previously mentioned 1971 Zenith B966, a 1966 Sylvania SC189P, a 1969 Sylvania SC315W and the Holy Grail that I was looking for: a 1968 Zenith YT960. My plan is to sell or give away the Sylvania SC189P and the Zenith B966 as I am not a fan of either cabinet, and keep the contemporary Sylvania SC315W and Zenith YT960.
Charles
USAF Veteran

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 06:29:01 PM »
Ok I haven't been "collecting" for long and I don't have many (3 right now).  My first was a 1959 Zenith console SF2560 with the mono tuner and stereo phono with the cobra tone arm.  I wanted it because it used tubes and was push pull output.  I didn't realize how bad it was and I paid too much for it (first timer issues).  I was recently retired and thought this could be fun and it would keep me off the streets.   Next a friend was moving out of a house and needed to get rid of a Grundig stereo, so I picked it up for $20.00.  My first German unit and it did have some unique issues.  Pot metal was my biggest issue.  The unit had a different type of clutch arrangement, when it is in the "normal state the dial cord would tune the LW, MW and SW bands, but when you pressed the "UHF or FM" selection, it would disengage the normal clutch and engage a different one that would use a different dial string.  It also used some ELL80 output tubes and one was bad.  Looking at the tubes I see that an ELL80 is the equivalent of two EL95 tubes, so I made a bracket and wired 4 tube sockets to replace the originals.  That worked out great and was much less expensive.  At the time, all of the ELL80 tubes were running about 99.00 each and the EL95 tubes were 7.95 each which made it a no brainer.   I gave that one away about a year ago, just didn't want it around the house since I picked up a couple more consoles.  My next console was a RCA 3VF446 I got for $25.00.  It also was fully tubed and push pull output.  I did replace the woofers and sealed the speaker chambers as this console was easy to do that.  The sound is very nice, but I don't need the console around.  My last purchase was like Charles, the "holy grail" for me, a Zenith MM2670.  It was a tube and SS hybrid with a tube tuner and solid state amplifier.  On this one I also replaced the woofers and sealed the enclosures.  It may not get window rattling volume, but it sounds great!  I would like to get down to just this one, plus some of the component equipment I have.  My enjoyment comes from working on and repairing the stuff, so now I have to seriously look at letting some of this go out the door. 

Charles, I give you kudos for really knowing what you want to keep and what to let go.  I'm going to have to take a lesson from you and bite the bullet.  I know on much of the stuff I have put much more into the stuff than I would ever get out of it.  Your post has given me some incentive.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 08:04:42 PM »
Ok I haven't been "collecting" for long and I don't have many (3 right now).  My first was a 1959 Zenith console SF2560 with the mono tuner and stereo phono with the cobra tone arm. 

Never apologize for not having enough--there is always time to find more!

That cobra arm--did that use the cartridge that had a vane that modulated an AM RF signal and demodulated it for audio output?  I've got a cobra arm--eyes and all--on my 1948 Wurlitzer jukebox, and I know they used that system into the 1950s at least.  Maybe somebody knows when Zenith dropped it and went to a conventional ceramic cartridge?   

Chris Campbell

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 08:51:40 PM »
The cartridge for the 1959 used a ceramic cartridge, but was damaged when I got it.  It used an EV-26 cartridge, but I ended up putting in a Pfanstiehl 226.  I may order the correct one and replace the replacement.  It makes the tone arm ride too high on the records as the cartridge is quite a bit bigger.  Depends on how available (and expensive) the EV-26 is.  The vane cartridge was only mono.

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 10:10:28 AM »
The EV-26 is a good sounding cartridge, but it hasn't been made by EV for many years, and the quality of the EV-26 knock-offs is hit and miss in my experience.

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 10:24:37 PM »
I just took a chance on a 9.99 EV 26 original cartridge off ebay.  We will see if it is any good when it arrives.  I figured a cheap spare was worth the shot. 
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"