Author Topic: 1964 Admiral Console - last tube model  (Read 1670 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
1964 Admiral Console - last tube model
« on: December 28, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »
This console model Y4751 has the look that is hot among the MCM jet-set but it needs some work to be a piece for the living room.
The tuner is AM-FM-stereo using a 6FG6 eye tube. The amp is a single-ended 6BQ5. Speakers two 12" LF drivers and 3 inch cone tweets.  Record changer is an Admiral-Ensign with missing knob inserts.

It was used pretty heavily and had few Admiral tubes left, and I put plenty of time into it so far but only half-way there.:(
I addressed the major problems like caps and weak tubes, including the tuning eye that would not 'open'.
It still needs cosmetic items and several record player issues fixed. Fortunately I can get a veneer graft from the inside of a leg;)

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
Re: 1964 Admiral Console - last tube model
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:47:10 AM »
Nice - I'd be interested in seeing your veneer grafting process.
Mark

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »
I have an update. The repair of the speaker grill cloth is nearly done. Fabric glue and an exacto knife were used. Threading it through may be an option but I've got no tailor talent so I glued the strips back where they need to be.

The sound is just so sweet, but there is much more bass reserve than treble. The cone tweeters could be swapped with some horns from Magnavox, and it would be a huge improvement.

I also notice that the stereo indicator (#49 lamp) barely lights unless its on the absolute strongest FM station. Pictures up next.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 03:16:24 PM »
Next week I want to do the veneer repair. There is a very nasty ding on the last picture above.

The grill "cloth" repairs went better than I expected. I could not find a curved needle to thread the top side but the bottom was done the only way possible, by placing a small backer strip under the "mesh", then tucking, trimming and gluing.
It was sure nice listening to this console as I am working on a fellow Chicago set, the Silvertone.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave