Author Topic: VM 562 Stereo Consolette  (Read 2081 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
VM 562 Stereo Consolette
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:05:19 PM »
Last weekend I couldn't resist hitting the BIN button on eBay for this one.  It's a nice 1957 Voice of Music 562 consolette, in blonde trimmed with black lacquer, and even has the original legs. This one is VM's most powerful  consolette with the larger push-pull 6BQ5 amplifier.  I've been wanting this one for a long time.

I bought the phonograph, and the seller indicated he had the matching AMPLIFIED speaker unit for it, also with the original legs.  I bought that one direct from him.  The speaker unit has a 6V6 amp in it with three speakers. I've never owned, or seen in person, an amplified speaker unit like this.

After communicating with Gary Stork at VM Enthusiasts, I discovered that this unit is full stereo when the amplified speaker unit is plugged in.  It has a Sonotone 8-T stereo cartridge in the tone arm of the changer.

This one is coming in on Wednesday.  I can't wait to see it in person and start working on it.  I'll have two amplifiers to restore, plus the changer to service.  I'd bet this will really kick butt with two separate amplifiers, one for each stereo channel.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:37:35 PM by Larry H »
--Larry

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Re: VM 562 Stereo Consolette
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »
I love the way that one looks. What is the total height on it?

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:55:26 PM »
I don't know yet.  It is on a Fed Ex truck for delivery this afternoon.  I know the total weight of both pieces is 95 pounds... I think the phonograph weighs close to 50 pounds.
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »
I saw that one before you bought it Larry and was hoping that someone here would pick it up!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 02:09:52 PM »
I saw that one before you bought it Larry and was hoping that someone here would pick it up!
I simply couldn't resist it for a BIN of $125.  This has the same amplifier as the VM 557 portable, which is likely the most potent portable ever made.  This must be a faily deep cabinet, too, since it has dual 8 inch woofers with whizzer cones in each. 

I didn't know he had a matching amplified speaker cabinet until after I bought the phonograph.  He emailed me that he had it, and I worked out a deal for that and got it also at a good price. 

This thing may sound like a baby Concert Grand when both amps are operating.....
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 05:01:01 PM »
The phonograph and speaker unit just arrived, and wow, both units are in pristine condition.  I can't believe how clean and pretty they are.  The grill cloth looks like it just left the VM factory.  I am really thrilled over this purchase.  Now, on to the restoration of two amps and a changer.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »
The person I bought this from lives in St. Joseph, Michigan, a sister city of Benton Harbor where VMs were made.  He just told me a secret about VM:

"The founder of VM was Walter Miller.  His granddaughter, who lives down the street from me, and whom I went to high school with, said her grandfather named the company VM after the initials of his son, Victor, but didn't tell anyone that.  One day at a press conference a reporter asked him if VM stood for Victor Miller....he hemmed and hawed until a executive with him said, no it stands for Voice of Music... to get Walter off the hook.  Since that day on VM was also known as Voice of Music, but the real name is VM.  This is a true story not many people know."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:24:04 AM by Larry H »
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 02:42:44 AM »
The very first night I had to start the restoration.  I pulled and recapped the amp in the amplified speaker cabinet.  The cabinet has a pair of 8 inch woofers and a tweeter.  I've been playing a Magnavox Collaro through it, and the sound is wonderful.  Great highs, very nice bass.  This amplified cabinet sounds better than most mono phonos! 
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:52:13 AM »
The phonograph, with legs attached, is 23 inches tall.  The amplified speaker unit, with legs, is 22 inches tall.  Consolettes were most always "low-boys."
--Larry

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »

The phonograph, with legs attached, is 23 inches tall.  The amplified speaker unit, with legs, is 22 inches tall.  Consolettes were most always "low-boys."

By definition, a "low boy" has legs shorter than the cabinet itself.  A "high boy" has legs taller than the cabinet itself.  That said, I'm not sure that these "consolettes" actually fit either description.

Very nice V-M pair you've got there.  Have you confirmed that it's equipped with an 8T stereo cartridge?

Ken D.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »
Yes, cartridge is marked 8T on one side.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 03:10:33 PM »
I've been working on the main consolette the last couple of days, and the thing has been a real booger.  The changer was all froze up... old dried grease all over the main slide and trip slide, and the sprocket.  The sprocket shaft was practically glued to the bushing that holds it on the motor board from hardened grease.  I removed the main slide and sprocket, and got each part clean, and then cleaned a few more places with Q-tips dipped in lacquer thinner.  I put it back together and the changer cycled perfectly by hand.

I couldn't initially figure out how to get this motor out since it is mounted inside a basket like thing, so I just let some turbine oil run down in each bushing.  I tested the changer and the motor wouldn't turn... it was seized.  Late last night I figured out how to get the motor out and removed it and soaked the bushings in lacquer thinner.  I discovered the bottom Alliance bushing in its mount wasn't centered, and I couldn't move it to center it, so I decided to replace the entire bushing assembly with an extra one I had in my parts stash.

The Sonotone 8-T cartridge had a bad cantiveler, so a new cartridge had to be ordered.  Gary Stork at VM had recommended a P-226/228 replacement, so I ordered one, figuring I wouldn't be able to complete the changer until the middle of next week because of the Monday holiday. Fortunately a close friend of mine had an extra cartridge he lent me, so hopefully I will get it installed this afternoon.

I hope to be testing the changer later tonight.
--Larry

doslefties

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 04:34:14 PM »
Keep us up to date on this beauty! A youtube video when you're finished?
Keep Spinnin', Kyle

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 03:26:50 PM »
I finished the entire set this morning.  Installed a new Phanstiehl P-226 stereo cartridge.  I didn't like how VM grounded the electrolytics, so I ran a second ground wire to be sure they were properly grounded to the chassis.

The sound is simply marvelous, breathtaking, wow, I can't believe what I'm hearing.  This stereo consolette with two amplifiers sounds better than a lot of large consoles!!!!

--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 10:06:29 PM »
I installed a new idler this afternoon since the original idler started stalling in cycle.  I also installed a new pilot lamp in the amplified speaker cabinet. Here's a video of it playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tzJiCgTISI&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:52:38 AM by Larry H »
--Larry