Author Topic: 1964 Zenith console with drop-in tuner  (Read 1447 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
1964 Zenith console with drop-in tuner
« on: May 26, 2016, 11:09:55 AM »
The local Habitat ReStore is where I take minimally-functional consoles which still has value for someone. A good example is my 1966 Silvertone SS console that had needs (germanium transistors and unobtanium changer parts) not worth the time of a collector that has more interesting stuff lined up to restore.

This time a treasure was found. I saw it last week for $50 and figured if it lasted a week, that was a sign to bring it home.  This Zenith MT1971 in a very nice walnut cabinet with twist-on legs and six speakers inside. Not a TOTL tubed console but one with a single-ended 6BQ5 stereo amp with bass-boost switch and an MLT15 stereo tuner with its own power supply.

The record changer was a V-M of course but had no markings on it like most Zenith's do. The cartridge looks like an Electro-voice 150, similar to what is used on Magnavox Micromatics of the same age.

I was able to offload it into my basement studio and its next to a 1959 Zenith from an earlier post. Ill post some pictures next.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: 1964 Zenith console with drop-in tuner
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 03:59:01 PM »
The changer that came in this Zenith has an EV186 cartridge, which looks like an E-V 150 but has an adjusting screw at one corner ??? - is this an anti-skate or azimuth adjustment?

The changer is dated 6507, is in above average condition and plays records well but I'm swapping it with the 1970 Zenith Super 2G-branded V-M that was in my 1959 console.

The 2G changer will be closer to the Zenith-branded changer what the 1964 came with originally. One thing the 2G hates is very worn records, more so than the generic V-M with the heavier tracking EV cart.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 08:03:39 PM »
Everyone seems to love the 2 gram changer, to me it is too sensitive, just shutting the console cover while playing or walking near the set will cause the stylus to skip, the springs are so sensitive on the changer, that after the record drops the tone arm will skip due to the springs still moving from the changer action...
Elton

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 12:58:34 PM »
Everyone seems to love the 2 gram changer, to me it is too sensitive, just shutting the console cover while playing or walking near the set will cause the stylus to skip, the springs are so sensitive on the changer, that after the record drops the tone arm will skip due to the springs still moving from the changer action...

That is exactly what happens. Even on new vinyl :( Most V-M changers have foam cubes stuffed inside the springs to dampen such action. I just replaced the dried out ones with cubes of foam "bug-strip" (sold for window AC unit installs) and am hoping for improvement. Since the 2g is now in my 1964 console of this post, I need to work on its amp before I test it. First thing to go is that 4 amp fuse - WTF was Zenith thinking there. Schematic claims the power transformer draws 110 watts. I'm thinking 2 amp fast or 1.25 amp slow fuse here. That is just to get started. Ill do a separate post in Repairs/Tube consoles.

Zeniths of all vintages have an occasional nasty habit of blowing up transformers 
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »
It is earlier than 1964 if it has tubes.  By then everything was solid state.
--Larry

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »
Zenith still made some all-tube stereo consoles through the 1965 model year.  They were also among the last to switch to circuit boards.

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 08:41:35 PM »
yes get rid of that 4 amp fuse.... I was told since both chassis, tuner and power amp... not to mention the turntable, all go thru the main transformer hence the 4 amp fuse, but it is too high, my transformer failed... the primary winding fried and fuse did not blow...
Elton

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »
I bought some radial speakers from HiFiFun and they should be here soon. Thanks Larry!

I moved this Zenith to the front of the line, equal in priority to the paying jobs of course. The 2g changer and and another V-M are on my bench right now and I hope I'm done buying parts. But you never know how those idler wheels will turn out. I have a new one that I'm hoping to use on the customer's unit so I get paid for it. My unit also needs the stylus selector knob, a commonly lost item on Zenith 2g's

The Single-ended 6BQ5 amp should be able to drive these along with the 6 in the cabinet. The console has the plugs for them, how lucky to actually find a pair, that match woods too!
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: 1964 Zenith console w-radial speakers
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »
What I found with these MR105 speakers is that the plug is different than both this tubed Zenith and a 1966 Color TV SS Stereophonic console having radial speaker plugs. The manual of this 1964 console refers to radial speaker model KR102 According to my Zenith factory manual, the KR102 has 6x9 drivers but a 3" cone tweet instead of the short horn in the MR105.

Both have five pins but the arrangement is different. After looking at the pin-out, I can adapt these to an older "shorting plug", and both my units have those.
The selector switch is the other odd thing, if you select radials to work in tandem with the console's internal speakers, or not at all,  both the inductor and non-polarized capacitors are removed from the overall circuit. The in between function is to run the radial speakers only, while disconnecting the console's internal speakers.

It seems an undesirable situation is to route the amp's left and right outputs from the receptacles, through the 25+ foot cables to that switch on each radial speaker and then back to the console's internal speakers. The "shorting" plug will remain that but act only as a tap for connecting the extension speakers in parallel. That half-ohm loss in 50 feet of stranded #18 conductor has to be a factor.

I'm sure the MR105 are from a later unit, and I have not yet checked receptacles on my 1969 model Z966, with the large separate amp chassis. Unfortunately I don't have Zenith manual on the newer equipment.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
I have changed the plug and am ready to try the extension speakers on the solid state Zenith combo. The tube console needs its caps changed first.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »
The remainder of the odd-ball caps came from Justradios. A bunch of 220/470pf caps in the amp have cracks in them, weird. A non-polar electrolytic is used in the tuner and I ran out of Y2 safety caps.
I plan to put a grounded cord on this console to reduce noise and make sure the AUX cord I add does not become a tad hot via the chassis ground. Besides that, the cord looks pretty crummy.

I hope to test the radial speakers on this first, after moving it into the living room for break-in use. The SS console is serving as a padded tool-table, hard to lift lid.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave