Author Topic: Hacked Magnavox  (Read 1775 times)

revolverone

• View Profile
Hacked Magnavox
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:20:24 PM »
So last week on vacation, I came across a console that looks to have once been a full late 1950's Magnavox.  The cabinet was in good shape, albeit dirty.  It had a Magnavox Collaro Changer in it, but the original Magnavox Tuner and amp had been removed and replaced with a tube-based Olsen tuner and amp.  Anyone familiar with the brand?  I know it's made in Japan.  The guy wanted to get rid of it and sold it to me for $25.  For $25 I couldn't pass it up.

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Hacked Magnavox
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 05:37:13 PM »
I have a little Olson stereo amplifier.  Olson was an electronics outfit that sold parts and kits if I remember right.  I don't know how good their stuff was. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 06:28:49 PM »
yup a catalog retailer back in the day IIRC.  Olsen Electronics
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Magnavoxland

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 08:01:29 PM »
Pictures, please.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:42:29 PM »
When i was in college, I built a Heathkit AA-22 stereo integrated amp.  It was advertised as 20 watts/channel, as I recall.  A McIntosh clinic came to Columbus, OH, near where I was in school, so I took the Heath amp over for a test.  It met its specs for power and distortion.  The guy who ran the clinics expressed admiration, because the only other units that were meeting specs were the McIntosh amps.  The others were victims of the advertising dept. fantasies.

My buddy had just bought an Olson integrated amp and it claimed some outlandish power output, maybe a hundred watts or so.  Whatever it was, it failed dismally.  Basically, my 20 watt Heath amp put out more power, cleaner, than the supposedly more powerful Olson amp.  This was why Heath was thriving at the time--honest design, honest claims.

One of these days the Heath amp gets into the repair queue.

Chris Campbell

revolverone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 07:45:38 PM »
Yeah I see your point.  I opened up the amp and there's allot of caps in it to replace if I decided to replace them.  I'm not sure if I want to even keep it.  I noticed the amp is going for over $100 on ebay and the tuner about $50.  Part of me wants to eBay them.  I did test the tubes and they were all good.  I even fired both the tuner and amp up and they sound fine.  Any advice here?  Is it worth keeping?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 10:37:01 PM »
It would be interesting to know who made the tube electronics.  Your amp chassis photo actually looks impressive.  The only warning is that the grey, plastic-covered capacitors look like oil caps, which Sansui used in their 1000A tube receiver, a famous one.  The caps probably sounded great new but they had a very high failure rate when old.  My 1000A (found at curbside!) had four brand-new RCA 7591 tubes installed, but one was burned up--a coupling cap failure. I replaced 'em all.

Chris Campbell

revolverone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 09:57:11 AM »
I appreciate the feedback Chris.  I hooked them up to some really cheap speakers just to test it out and it sounded pretty good just through cheap speakers.  It looks like it would have some kick to it hooked up to a good speaker system. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 11:54:25 PM »
Just remember the mantra around here is "always replace old coupling caps" and when it comes to the oil caps used by Asian manufacturers in the 1960s, it is "replace them yesterday."  My cool Sansui only lost one of the 7591 output tubes (pricey little buggers) but it could have been worse.  I suppose that the good news is that after they replaced all the tubes (!!), the cap failed and killed one output tube, so they tossed the device in the trash at curbside for me to find for free. 

Chris Campbell

revolverone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 08:50:34 AM »
Yeah, I was planning on replacing all the caps if I decided to keep it.  I ALWAYS recap all my amps even the e-caps. Just didn't want to go through the time and expense to re-cap the thing if I was going to eBay it.  After some consideration, I've about decided just to keep it.  I