Author Topic: Magnavox 1ST616 Restoration  (Read 5562 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox 1ST616 Restoration
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
I am having to completely disassemble the left end of the cabinet to get the speaker board out.  So far, I have not destroyed anything, maybe left a couple tool marks where I had to pry things apart.  It is an incredible amount of work for a simple procedure.  I believe I can get it back together successfully.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 08:16:16 PM »
Yes, Ken, I'm preparing for a total refinish.  I'm gonna try to shortcut part of it, but that may not work out.  I have completely disassembled the cabinet, save one panel of the record storage compartment.  The motor board laid in the way of removing the left hand ( viewed from the rear, actually Channel 2) speaker board out.  The good news is, that with the exception of raking my knuckles over a partial removed screw and bleeding all over my work, and with the small exception of de-laminating a teeny spot of the plywood front panel, I got the thing apart with no issues.  Fortunately this cabinet is all screwed together and they went easy on the glue.  What little faux pas's that were created are easily repairable.  I was wondering how I was going to repaint the interior of the record storage compartment.  Now I know. 

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 08:27:12 PM »
Aren't you glad that Magnavox used screws to put the cabinet together?  Some manufacturers glued everything, making it virtually impossible to dismantle the cabinet. 
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 08:32:35 PM »
I am.  This has not been that bad so far.  I'm planning a hand-rubbed tung oil finish.  That seems like the most likely original material. 

This is a lot of work for a $1 stereo.   ;)

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 09:07:48 PM »
Nice pile of parts you have there Gregg!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 10:09:05 PM »
Thank you, Ken.  I hope I can turn the pile of parts back into a stereo. 

BTW, this little stereo does not have the "Magnificent Magnavox" moniker printed anywhere.  The only place that "Magnavox" appears is on the script in the grille cloth and on the "Ten Year Diamond Needle" sticker.  So this means it is a Mediocre Magnavox?  This thing sure is simple after digging into a Concert Grand.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 11:48:57 PM »
Thank you, Ken.  I hope I can turn the pile of parts back into a stereo. 

BTW, this little stereo does not have the "Magnificent Magnavox" moniker printed anywhere.  The only place that "Magnavox" appears is on the script in the grille cloth and on the "Ten Year Diamond Needle" sticker.  So this means it is a Mediocre Magnavox?  This thing sure is simple after digging into a Concert Grand.
It looks like a good set, but not good enough to qualify for "Magnificent Magnavox" status.  My Belvedere is like that.
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
"Mediocre" or not, there is no doubt that it's a Magnavox.  They used pocket screws, tenon joints, tongue and groove everything.  It is all screwed together.  I can take the entire cabinet apart, down to the last board.  There is enough room under the amp chassis to run a creeper, I think.  They used the crappy Good-All capacitors and the 220K resistors are all drifted to the moon.  Yep, it's a Magnavox, all right.... ;)

This particular instrument is the only one I have with a "split floor plan", with the tuner on one end of the cabinet and the changer on the other.  This arrangement will play hell with my wife's "set-top appointments", and was not terribly popular when the set was new.  I'll wager that when these were new, and records were stored in the cabinet, the top lids would be removed so they could access records and both ends of the cabinet.

Larry, my belief is that you needed to get a Series 200 tuner (six-knobber) to qualify for "Magnificent Magnavox" status.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 02:22:45 PM »
Greg, four of my Magnavox consoles (1957 Continental, 1956 Brittany, 1957 Serenade, and 1958 stereo Berkshire) all say "Magnificent Magnavox" on the glass of the front facing tuners.
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »
Yours are all six-knobbers.  The five-knobbers do not have "magnificent" or "Magnavox" anywhere on the tuner.  I don't know for sure when they started building the "Series 100" or five knob tuners, but I'm thinking 1959.  At least the ones with FM stereo capability.  You know Magnavox.  There is not typically a start or a stop for anything!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »
I actually think Magnavox only used "Magnificent Magnavox" on sets with bi-amps, 15 inch woofers and tweeter horns.  I've not seen that wording on a regular push-pull amp like my Belvedere or your Magnavox you are restoring. 
--Larry

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 09:05:39 PM »
Wow Greg you sure have yourself a project.  I will probably be that involved with the Motorola, if I ever get that far!  It's interesting looking at your pictures.  My Magnavox stereo with the 9300 amp has the same tuner as the one you are working on.  Also has the same woofer but mine has the horns.  And like yours it does not say Magnificent anywhere. As I looked through the downloads trying to figure out what I have by the model number, I really got confused.  Cabinet was in the 1962 brochure but model number was slightly off and so was the speaker configuration.  I'll need to go back to download and check on the tuner, but I think that was off as well.

As far as refinishing goes I have done a fair share in my life.  When I'm down to the nitty-gritty and ready for the final finish I really like the combo of linseed oil and turpentine. 2/3-1/3 ratio.  Mix the two well, heat it fairly hot, being careful of combustion. Next apply in the sun and again be careful of combustion and keep applying until the wood won't take anymore.  Let it sit in the sun for about an hour and then wipe the excess off.  The finish is beautiful.  Keep it in the garage for about a week then wipe it again.  You may or may not need a little steel wool, it just depends on the grain of the wood. I have excellent luck with this finish. 

Good luck Greg and I'm glad you got the painting done.  I'm still scrapping, sanding, and painting on my outside projects as well as working on landscaping and the sprinkler system.  I guess that's what I get buying a house that the previous owners kind of let go.  But when I get to there age I probably will too. 

Bill

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 09:35:54 PM »
Bill, i like linseed oil as a finish too but real Turps is getting hard to find these days and I have not had good results using the crap that everybody is selling now. It seems like the finish takes a month to set up!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 11:52:49 PM »
Larry, my stereo Symphony, 1ST655 has a six knob tuner, an 8-tuber, and it says "Magnificent Magnavox" on the dial, ala Imperial and Concert Grand, and the ones you have.  Only the small tuners in the stereo days do not say "Magnificent" on them.  IIRC, the stereo Symphony "Series 200" tuner is a 5900 series and is basically the same as the Imperial and GC tuners, sans the extra audio amplifiers and the eye tube. 

The first picture is my Symphony.  The lower picture is the Concerto I have apart currently.

Also notice that the Symphony tuner does not have AFC.  The Concerto tuner does.  The Symphony and the Concerto are both 1961 models.  The Concerto is the later build date.  I used to believe that all 1961 Magnavox tuners had AFC.  Apparently, this is not totally accurate.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2016, 12:08:46 AM »
Bill, it is good to hear that you are experienced with refinishing.  I have done some, none to a high standard.  I may be picking your brain before this is over.

I have the cabinet apart all I can get it without tearing something up that is not repairable.  I would really like to get the other side of the storage compartment off, then remove the front panel entirely.  This is not likely to happen, failing some sort of miracle.  I'm beginning to believe that the front panel and lids are what someone tried to redo,  The wood is rough and is a totally different color than the rest.  I am getting the finish to "move" by increasing the ratio of acetone to lacquer thinner.  I'm going to get some sauce to reduce the evaporation time of my refinisher mixture so it will work longer.  I may actually have to use Citrus Stripper on the front panel and the lids to get whatever they put on it off and get my colors a little closer.  There is no toner on the cabinet that I can see.  I'm not surprised by anything I have found so far.  I just hope I can do this right and make it look right.