Author Topic: Magnavox 1ST616 Restoration  (Read 9539 times)

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: Magnavox 1ST616 Restoration
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »
Appears to be simply some sort of rubber cement.  I have used DAP Contact Cement with excellent results. 
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2016, 08:17:48 AM »
What kind of glue did they use to hold the "Ten Year Diamond Needle" sticker on?  It is stringy and snotty when you lift one corner of the sticker.  If I can't figure out what kind of glue that is, I'm gonna gingerly remove the sticker, wash off the old glue (if possible) with lacquer thinner, then stick it on again with Elmer's Construction glue.  I want to repaint the interior of the cabinet, and that sticker will have to come off.

You're on the right track with the Elmers. I used tite-bond wood glue on mine, put some wax paper over it then taped it down.

Nice job on that tear-down and refinish and good photos too!

Yep the sticker is flat and stuck down for good.
Mark

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2016, 09:09:53 PM »
It was raining all day here, so I decided to get in some bench time on the electronic parts.  FM operation seemed robust enough, I had the multiplex adapter going, so I turned my attention to AM.  The 5900 series tuner does not have a tuned RF section like the bigger tuners do.  More like an AA5 front end.  The AM reception on this particular tuner was not very good.  Even with my longwire antenna, is was mostly static and squealing.  Time for a good alignment.  I found the first IF was badly mis-aligned.  Reception has been restored to what I would expect for an AA5 in my fringe area.  I still need to recap the chassis, but that is my next operation.  I will touch up the alignment again.  Pictures of cabinet progress:

Grain filler on the front panel.  I applied the filler with a brush with the bristles cut off, first with the grain, then randomly.  I let the filler flash, then removed the excess with an old credit card, followed by rubbing in a random pattern with burlap.

The felt runners on the sliding lids were shot.  I got some felt at Hobby Lobby to make replacement runners.

I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »
I learned that one should not leave masking tape on for a week, on shellac, with high humidity.  I pulled the tape off to find a white streak where the tape was.  I had to sand this out, then re-do my shellac coat.

Sanding polyurethane, something the "old radio" guys claim can't be done.  It actually sands much like lacquer and shellac.  The lids are dull from sanding, but are smooth as glass.  I sanded the lids with 320 grit in preparation for the final coat (s), scheduled for Tuesday, weather permitting.  I let polyurethane stand for at least 72 hours after spraying before I sand.  I will wait a couple weeks before I "color sand" after the final finish.  This will adjust the gloss, rub out little dust nubs, and smooth the surface.  I plan to use a DeVilbiss spray gun like is used on cars to apply the final coat.  I have never sprayed poly with a good gun.  I have always used a cheap gun, like a touch-up or jamb gun.  I want the sliders and the front panel smooth as glass.  The plan right now is to sand to get the gloss where I want it.  Pumice and rottenstone are the backup plan.

The bottom picture is of the black grain filler on one end.  The horizontal groove in the end panel will be colored black with a fine felt-tip marker.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2016, 01:22:50 AM »
YOU CAN'T SAND POLYURETHANE LIKE THAT!!!  I'M TELLIN YA IT JUST CAN'T BE DONE!!!   ;D
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »
"They" also tell me that I can't use burlap on speaker enclosures, either.  Guess what I'm going to try on this project?  Yep, black and from Hobby Lobby.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2016, 07:43:30 PM »
I got the final finish on this morning.  It is really shiny, but, hopefully, sanding will temper that somewhat.  The finish looks like you could wade in it.  I redid the black grooves in the cabinet with a magic marker.

The second picture is the gun finish of the lids.  This is the one that had the black water stain.  You can see the grids in the shop lights reflecting in the finish.  Sanding should make the finish absolutely glassy smooth.

The last picture is the trim that goes on the front panel of the cabinet.  I had supposed these were gold-anodized "mystery metal" of some type, so I was intending to sand them off and paint them.  They are solid brass!  Solid brass trim on a lower-level Magnavox stereo.  The pulls for the sliding lids are brass, too.  These babies will get a good polish on the wheel, then clear coated.  I'm not certain of how bright they should be, but on this job, they'll be polished.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2016, 02:00:11 PM »
Looking good Gregg!

Personally I think the brass look good polished up just the way you have it, any more would be too garish, Put a couple of coats of good paste wax on it and let it age out gracefully along with the cabinet.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »
A friend of mine makes up a mixture of polyeurethane and water, and brushes it on the brass to keep it from tarnishing again. I suspect spraying it with clear-coat would do the same thing.
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2016, 05:16:23 PM »
I like Ken's idea of clean but not brilliantly shiny.  I think I'll go with that.  Larry, I was planning on clear coating with satin poly.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2016, 05:26:27 PM »
Home Depot has a spray can that is called clear-coat.  I bought a can and used it to spray the tone-arm on my Bozo record player.  The stuff worked great.
--Larry

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2016, 10:39:27 PM »
"Can't use burlap on speaker enclosures"--??  My first home-made speaker enclosures were little vented-back reflex ones.  I had two 8" GE "wide range" speakers from an old background-music system.  Stereo Review (probably HiFi/Stereo Review then) published plans for DIY speakers when i was a senior in high school (1964 or '65).  A neighbor ripped the plywood for me on his table saw.  The plywood got covered with Naugahyde and the front baffle got covered in plain ol' brown burlap.  Together with a Bogen DB-115 mono amp and a Garrard RC-80 changer and Fairchild MC cartridge, I had quite the system. 

A year or two later when i got a stereo amp I built a matching enclosure.  Still have 'em both.  Added tweeters at some point, little paper cone jobs, and then replaced the 8" GEs with something more modern. 

The burlap is sill there.  Maybe it isn't as transparent for high frequencies as something with a more open weave, but then these aren't exactly hi-res speakers anyway.  And they look pretty good, even after 50 years.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2016, 10:07:45 PM »
I had an "expert" offer the idea that burlap is too flimsy to work on speaker enclosures.  I have some muslin backing material for mine to make the burlap stiffer.  The burlap I got is really open-weaved.  The upholstery shop that is doing them for me also recommended using backing for the burlap.  I believe the black burlap will give the cabinet a clean, more modern look.  My wife was not in love with the original grille cloth anyway.

Thanks, Chris for your input on this.  I feel better about my decision. 

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2016, 02:06:04 PM »
I should get caught up with my project on here.

The upholstery shop who was supposed to do my speaker grilles chickened out, as did a couple of their competitors.  They did not want to be responsible for busting the "Magnavox" script nor the little red pilot light jewel.  So guess who got to install the speaker cloth.  Yeah, me.  Not one of my strong suites, but we got thru it.

I busted the little jewel, so I had to repair it.  So far, so good.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2016, 02:12:33 PM »
I had no idea what I was doing.  I had watched videos on YouTube was all the practical experience I had, especially working with burlap.  Stretching is the secret.  And don't be stingy with glue.  Keep the work flat.  And keep your fingers crossed...... :-[