Author Topic: I'm bummin...1964 Zenith Died  (Read 758 times)

hermitcrab

• View Profile
I'm bummin...1964 Zenith Died
« on: June 05, 2016, 11:33:17 AM »
was playing albums on my 64 Zenith when it just stopped playing , thought a tube failed , but looking in the back could hear the tell tale sounds of a cooking transformer... I hurried and pulled the plug , but was too late,... this has a fuse on it rated at 4 amps, but it did not blow??? all the caps were replaced a while ago, and this has been a great performer... took the clam shell apart and it looked normal except very near the core was small burning marks....ohm meter shows resistance jumped up from 3 ohms to almost 15... can find no other reason for it to blow other than age....kinda a bummer to restore a set just to have a major part fail... debating whether to spend $100 bucks to find a suitable replacement....no hobby is cheap I guess....   
Elton

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: I'm bummin...1964 Zenith Died
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »
How about an arcing rectifier tube? Beware subbing rectifiers for a 5Y3 or 6CA4, the voltage peaks out beyond 450 until the amp tubes warm up. Post your chassis number. i.e. "4L21" etc. I have a gutted amp chassis from that era.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

hermitcrab

• View Profile
Re: I'm bummin...1964 Zenith Died
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 04:51:42 PM »
Hello, my amp is the 5L29 with the extra 6FQ7 driver tube , it was the primary of the transformer that fried, not the secondaries, I figure since was in the basement , that moisture must have infiltrated the winding and caused it to pop, I would bet the transformers are the same.... let me know what you would want for your transformer, maybe we can make a deal...
Thanks
E.
Elton