Author Topic: Just moved into a new house and found an old RCA SHP-9. Could use some advice  (Read 1865 times)

Syntaxic

• View Profile
So, as the title says, we just moved into a new house and in one of the rooms there were two speakers with a shelving unit built around them.  After dropping something behind one of them and trying to get the thing out, I discovered that it's actually a turntable.  I managed to get it out enough to get a look at the back and take some pictures of the insides through some holes, but actually removing the speaker set would be very difficult due to the enclosure built around it.  I have a feeling it wasn't used at all by the previous owners, but was from an older gentleman who apparently lived here before them, so it most likely hasn't actually been used in over two years.

All that said, I've never owned a turn table and certainly not one that is apparently about 20 years older than I am.  I picked up a couple albums and all seems to be good; the record player works and sounds good for something so old. But I want to make sure it stays that way.  I didn't know what maintenance needs or should be done as I don't have a manual and all my googling has resulted in either dead ends or 404s.

The first thing that probably needs is a good cleaning... especially the innards in back.  Would compressed air suffice or is there another method that would work better for the tubes?

Anyway, I will take any and all advice and resources anyone is willing to provide.

Thank you in advance!

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
I never saw a console and extension speaker built in that way. It needs to be recapped before you use it much, and the changer could use a clean and lube. Nice find!
Mark

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Cheers - what a neat Orthophonic. The speaker cabinet must have the amp for the other channel.

What luck that was built-in or it would have been gone and not to a good place.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Great find

Bill

• View Profile
Wish my new house would have had a find like that.  :)  Let us know how your project goes, with pictures of course.

Bill

Finlandia

• View Profile

Finlandia

• View Profile

Finlandia

• View Profile
Since they probably been enclosed there whole life the ebony finish must be mint! Remove them from the "built ins" find the original legs and display them as they should be. Good find!

Finlandia

• View Profile
It would be even better if the person who installed them back in the day had the foresight to unscrew the legs and store them on the inside somewhere.

Finlandia

• View Profile
I own the mahogany version of them.

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
Gorgeous! People were serious about their furniture back then.
Mark

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
"Magazine-Loading Stereo Tape Recorder"  What exactly would this have been???

The "furniture" pieces are just too kewl!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

TC Chris

• View Profile
RCA made a cartridge tape deck back in the early 1960s--a sort of cassette on steroids.  It was basically the same concept, two reels in a plastic case, but larger.  My freshman college roommate came to school with the player and about 4 cartridges.  It was not a commercial success.

And before that, some manufacturers made players using commercial tape cartridges used in radio stations for ads and spots, basically the same concept as the 8-track.  My uncle had a player in his little sports car, the first non-radio car audio I ever heard.  I think the player as by Lear.  I remember that it sounded awful, but at least it was mobile.

Chris Campbell

Finlandia

• View Profile
"Magazine-Loading Stereo Tape Recorder"  What exactly would this have been???

The "furniture" pieces are just too kewl!

I just watched this on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdzxEdDwdc4
Didn't even know these existed!

Finlandia

• View Profile
I thought about what it would be like to go back in time trying to explain to that family in the video what a "selfie stick", "LGBTQ"  "leaked sex tape", "Catlin Jenner", Kanya West is. I think their heads would explode...