Author Topic: MY FISHER CORONET  (Read 2140 times)

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: MY FISHER CORONET
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 09:56:28 AM »
Very good looking electrical restoration, did you leave the bumblebee caps on purpose?

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »
Very good looking electrical restoration, did you leave the bumblebee caps on purpose?

I've read pro and con on other forums regarding leaving paper caps in place. It seems that Jeff replaced caps where leakage can destroy tubes or worse should they fail.

On the pro side, when paper caps are in retained in low-level signal circuits (or guitar pickups), the sound coloration is desirable to some.

On the con side, unless the cap has zero leakage and spot-on value, the coloration is probably a result of deterioration and thus not authentic of a new Fisher.

When re-capping my Fisher Custom Electra's 481amp/590tuner, I replaced all paper caps with mylar, ceramic discs with mylar (when used as coupling caps and certainly not in the tuner or IF stages) and all the electrolytics. But I stopped when it came to the multiplex decoder because it was so tightly packed and I was afraid of disrupting its lead dress, etc. Now, If I could only figure out why the thing wont power up now...probably a switch... :-[

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 02:49:42 PM »
I'm always leery on keeping those caps as I've seen them literally explode or end up working on a unit where one already did blow up at some point, and considering these bee's are usually in HV coupling circuits taking 120v+ I have a hard time ever leaving them in. If you are worried about coupling quality for something like this, use Solen poly caps or something to that effect.

JBOOTH

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 03:09:29 PM »
I replaced all those bumble bees, and all the lytics...I did not replace the little mica caps as they rarely fail and it has nice sound--The speaker is sealed with a rectangular vent in front, that I thought might be for a horn, but seems it is a bass relfex vent--I need now to replace a couple idlers for the webster table, seems The  Voice of Music guy has 'em..Thats next--- plays fine, but I'm always a little concerned at the temp of the transformer --not too hot to touch but pretty toasty

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 06:08:41 PM »
Once again, a beautiful job on a super nice unit. Congrats!

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 06:55:07 PM »
Those changers are stupid nice, got the exact same one with my Eh Scott. Should have one of those amazing General Electric Variable Reluctance cartridges. Those things are amazing