Author Topic: Motorola Calypso Hi-Fi in Fiberglass  (Read 1095 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Motorola Calypso Hi-Fi in Fiberglass
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:01:58 PM »
This week I took a plunge and threw out an offer on eBay for this beautiful 1957 Motorola Calypso hi-fi in fiberglass record player.  The seller accepted my offer, and I bought it.  It is a beautiful blue color and has about a 6 inch woofer and two tweeters.  The player has a powerful amp for a portable with a huge power transformer and audio transformer.  It has a BSR changer, and is fully restored... both amp and changer.  I normally don't buy stuff already restored, but I wanted this one since I first saw it listed on eBay.  I got it for a fraction of this California seller's original listed price of $1200.  It was shipped today.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Motorola Calypso Hi-Fi in Fiberglass
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 11:11:24 PM »
Motorola ad:
--Larry

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 12:02:31 AM »
How does it sound?  Interesting that it has three speakers and a transformer power supply, both a step up from the usual.

Chris Campbell

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 12:43:16 AM »
The seller posted a video, and it had nice high's, but it sounded like the bass was turned down somewhat.  From what I have read, this set puts out more bass than you'd expect.  I'll have it Friday or Saturday of this week.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
The 1958 version of the Calypso was still mono, but it has different knobs and a Motorola branded deluxe VM changer.
--Larry

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 06:55:07 PM »
Very nice!
Mark

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 08:21:39 PM »
Looks nice Larry, please let us know how it sounds.

Bill

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »
It sounds pretty good, but I am planning to replace the $8 Chinese Crosley cartridge the seller installed in it with a Phanstiehl P-226 cartridge.

I have an issue with the changer not properly indexing 12 inch records.  When a 12 inch record strikes the plastic indexer next to the tonearm mount, the arm just returns to its rest and shuts off.

I have determined that record weight affects this greatly, and that heavier 180-200 gram records will access it properly and the tonearm moves to the 12 inch position and sets down. 

The seller has been corresponding back and forth with me about this issue today.  Here's his latest response:

"Thanks for your patience, observation and report on whats going on with your Calypso BSR player. The indexer is very sensitive and accurate. It reacts to a record depressing it to a certain location both outside and inside its slot. As the outside of the indexer lever goes down when a record presses on it, the inside rises up. When the indexer is moved to its designated location when a record drops, it lifts a pin on the other end of its fulcrum inside the casing. This pin relates to other pivoting mechanisms that tell the tone arm where it should move to begin playing a record. Please, no oil. It is not necessary. Every little moving part has been removed, cleaned and lubricated to manufacturers specification. As you noticed, this indexer is sensitive to weight pressing it down and inward as the record falls. Though I have never experienced such a situation with lighter and heavier weighing records, your observation and and analysis results make sense to me. Keep in mind these record player was designed in the late 50's and early 60's to play the 12" records of that era. The engineers weren't aware of light weight, newer, modern vinyl records that had a much thinner / lighter composition. If you purchased this player to play 12" LP, newer records that aren't heavy enough to provide enough velocity to trip the indexer engagement pin, we are both out of luck."

Is there anyone here familiar with this BSR Monarch UA8 record changer?  Anyone know of a fix for this issue?

--Larry

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 05:49:52 PM »

I have an issue with the changer not properly indexing 12 inch records.  When a 12 inch record strikes the plastic indexer next to the tonearm mount, the arm just returns to its rest and shuts off.

I have determined that record weight affects this greatly, and that heavier 180-200 gram records will access it properly and the tonearm moves to the 12 inch position and sets down. 

I would look to the balance arm and it's associated shut-off sensor.  Perhaps the balance arm need to be tweaked a bit.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 08:38:24 PM »
I would look to the balance arm and it's associated shut-off sensor.  Perhaps the balance arm need to be tweaked a bit.
Ken, you were right... it was a balance arm issue.  A guy on the Facebook record players group told me to gently bend the end of the overarm so that records are leaning toward the flag.  I did that, and viola, it is accessing even lighter 80s LPs perfectly now.  I can't believe it was this simple a fix.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »
I installed the new P-226 cartridge in it, and it sounds really good.  Not quite as much bass as the cheapo Chinese Crosley cartridge had, but ample bass.  And the high's are spectacular!
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 04:00:41 PM »
I really like that P-226 cartridge!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »
I really like that P-226 cartridge!
I do too.  I have one in my VM consolette, and my Calypso.  I've also installed a number of these in RCA New Orthophonic tabletop players as well for customers.

For myself, I've been getting the model with a diamond LP and a sapphire LP needle.  These are only $17, and I don't need a 78 needle since I don't have 78rpm records.
--Larry