Author Topic: SOS...need local help in console purchase...located in the Dallas, TX area  (Read 1361 times)

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
Hello all, 

I'm trying to purchase a console in the Dallas, TX area.  However, the seller doesn't seem too interested in selling to an out of state buyer.   :'( If there is a member in the Dallas, TX area that would be willing to help out, please PM me.  I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Paul

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
Pay them or send a shipper to pay once picked up.

People lighten up after cash is in their hand.
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Were you planning to travel yourself to Dallas to pick it up?  Some Craigslist sellers don't like to sell to out of state buyers, since they're scared they won't show up to pick up their purchase. 

I bought the big RCA Mark I several years ago from a Craigslist ad in Chicago, and the seller held it for me for a few days until I could get up there to pick it up. 

You just have to assure the seller that you are definitely going to get it, and at your agreed-on price.  If necessary, send the seller a $100 deposit to hold it for you.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Is this the set you're trying to buy?  It's a nice Imperial, but priced too high.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/ele/5645857305.html#
--Larry

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
Once the seller heard I was out of state, communication stopped. I was planning on having it shipped.  I've done that twice before with no problems.

That's a real nice Maggie, but not the one I'm interested in.
Paul

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
Many thanks, David, for your suggestion!  I spoke with a shipper and they agreed to pay the seller cash at pick up. Wouldn't you know it, once cash was mentioned, the seller responded.  In an affirmative manner, too, I might add.  keeping my fingers crossed.  :)
Paul

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Hope you get it.
--Larry

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
kind odd, but that Imperial is now a Fisher....scam?

(and i did see the Blonde Imperial that was listed at first)

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
Sweet! I hope it works out. Some sellers think that nothing but cash in hand is a scam. I had a very difficult seller before that chilled out one I had a shipper with cash in hand grab it.

What gets me is PayPal is the safest method and everyone acts like you're trying to trick them when you mention a PayPal payment.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
kind odd, but that Imperial is now a Fisher....scam?

(and i did see the Blonde Imperial that was listed at first)
I wonder how the link that once worked for the danish Imperial now shows a Fisher?  Strange indeed.
--Larry

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
the poster would just "edit" the ad and replace everything, text and pictures.
They might be legit, smacks of a scam though. Most folks would just start a new ad for a new listing.

Considering they are asking $1000+ for both things they listed, and the way its "changed" i wouldn't risk it. They may be running scams in this area. This one is listed in Arlington, where was the Imperial?

Amglow, are you sure your target is legit?
In my experience, when someone doesn't respond to you, you should probably walk away, not throw money at them from another state....but hey, thats just me....

voxACthirtee

• View Profile

What gets me is PayPal is the safest method and everyone acts like you're trying to trick them when you mention a PayPal payment.

I just saw this....you're kidding right?

There's a bunch of ways to screw people using paypal, and there's untold ways paypal will screw you.
Paypal is a necessary evil, at best.

Specifically in cases like this. If a buyer pays with paypal, comes and picks up his Concert Grand,
then gets home and calls paypal and files a claim saying he never got it.
You have no way to prove he got it, or that he picked it up.
(unless you got a photo of his drivers license)
He files a claim, he wins, now paypal wants his money back from you and can go into your account and TAKE IT BACK.
Even if you win a Paypal claim, they can do a chargeback on their credit card if they used one.
Good luck with that.

Did you not know this? Did you read the user agreement or the "buyer protection/seller protection"?
Paypal now only "protects" Ebay transactions with proof of delivery, thats it.
And of course while they are no longer the same company, they are in each others pockets,
so clearly they want you to use Ebay, so you get protections, as otherwise you do not.

Plenty of stories out there on the net about how crappy paypal is.
Personally have been part of 2 of the many class action suits against them.
Cash IS the only thing thats safe, really. Not to say i'd never roll the dice with Paypal, you just need to know its not that safe if you are dealing with unscrupulous people.

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
Wow I didn't realize that! Guess I've been lucky. I'll really scrutinize using it now. 

I have paid a guy through Western Union to get parts i badly needed. I wonder if that's somewhat safer.

I know on eBay the buyer has 30 days to complain if positive feedback isn't already left. I got totally screwed on eBay twice in my 15 years which I guess is good for roughly 1000 transactions.

The magic phrase "item not as described" is all that has to be said to get a refund no matter if it's a as is sale.

I sold a vintage non working as is  RC car and ended up eating 60 bucks of shipping charges becuase the moron said it didn't work! He wanted a partial refund at first but I said he keeps it or returns it. Then he got mad I accepted the return. Needless to say I blocked the buyer....

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
Yup, at some point Paypal made their "seller protection" only through an ebay sale that delivery can be shown by one of the trackable big shippers. Everybody else is shit outta luck.

And any buyer, if they used a Credit Card always has the option of a charge back.

Not everybody is out to screw folks, but the ones who are, know just how to do it.

Western Union might require the recipient show ID to get the money, but unless its for a lot of money, if you get screwed and call the local cops where the guy is and tell them you got ripped off, they are just going to say you should have been safer. You'd probably have to get a lawyer thats local to do it and that gets expensive.

the only safe way is cash, and even then i've gotten fake bills, or a fake bill.
Guy bought a TV off me, brought cash, paid me $800 and included 1 bogus $20.
Might have been accidental, but the guy was shifty, probably knew it.
I realized it when i went to buy gas and the lady said it looked a little off(it did, a little) and she used the pen and it was bogus. She gave it back to me and i passed it at a Dunkin Donuts.
So nothing is safe unless you take cash AND have a counterfeit pen/light