Author Topic: Replacing 1000 uF "Silver Can" Capacitor  (Read 609 times)

MagMan

• View Profile
Replacing 1000 uF "Silver Can" Capacitor
« on: July 09, 2016, 08:15:24 PM »
I just recently completed a recap on a Magnavox AstroSonic chassis # R20413 CA. It sounds better but not great. I'm still getting a slight hum which remains constant in volume level in all settings (AM,FM, Aux). Based upon what I've read, I may need to replace the power supply filter cap, (Silver can) 

Would you guys agree with this assessment? If so, please share any pictures you might have demonstrating how you did it. I've read about several different methods, from "stuffing the can" to mounting a terminal strip. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Please let me know if you think there might be another source of this hum.

Thank you!

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing 1000 uF "Silver Can" Capacitor
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »
Yep, just desolder the can and solder a new cap to the circuit board. Nothing more is needed.

My '70 Astro hums a bit even after recapping. It might just be the way they are.
Mark

bluetantra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 12:19:52 AM »
Note the polarity of the original capacitor carefully.  Some Astrosonics used "can positive" capacitors, while many other devices use "can negative" capacitors (FP type).  I *think* I remember seeing "FPP" marked on the last 'can positive' I changed, along with the words "can positive."  You'll know quickly if you've installed it incorrectly when it's powered on.
Music:  the other non-addictive, mood altering non-substance.  Ask your doctor if Music is right for you! Common side effects include but are not limited to uncontrolled head-bobbing, toe-tapping, finger snapping, selective hearing impairment, and persistent melody flashbacks.

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
Mine is can positive as well. The receiver basically has a positive ground.
Mark