Author Topic: And We Have Lift-Off  (Read 2732 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
And We Have Lift-Off
« on: July 13, 2016, 06:17:31 PM »
Guys, I just purchased this fabulous early 1960s RCA PS-16 console, and will be making a trip to Milwaukee within the next 10 days to get it.  It is undoubtedly one of the most potent consoles RCA Victor ever made.  The amplifier has 11 tubes, and there is also a two tube preamp above the amp.  This is a three channel stereo with a dedicated center channel for bass, and a pair of "rocket" speakers for mid's and treble, which also provide terrific stereo separation.  The amplifier and pre-amp have a 5-AS4-A rectifier, six 6BQ5 outputs in push-pull, and a total of six 6CG7 preamp tubes.

I've been wanting this set for a long time, and this one is in pristine condition.  It was owned by a 93 year old woman who obviously really took great care of her console.  The cabinet is solid walnut, with no photo-finish anywhere.  Even the inside of the record playing compartment is walnut veneer. 

The picture of the amp is one I borrowed from ARF.  My set will have a back cover on it.
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: And We Have Lift-Off
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 07:52:50 PM »
WOW!  Park that in the garage with a 50's Chrysler or Cadillac and it would be right at home with those fins!

I think you STOLE that console at $500 Larry!!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 07:58:41 PM »
WOW!  Park that in the garage with a 50's Chrysler or Cadillac and it would be right at home with those fins!

I think you STOLE that console at $500 Larry!!
I think I did too.  The last one on eBay in this condition was 3-4 years ago in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and it sold for slightly over $1,000.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:32:46 AM by Larry H »
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 03:29:58 AM »
Here's the one that I came close to getting three or so years ago.  I wanted this one badly, and got sucked into a bidding war for it.  The high bid was about $500 with 15 minutes left in the auction.  I threw out a $900 bid, figuring I would get it for $550-$600.  The last few minutes several others began bidding, and I was the high bidder at $900 with one minute left.  I was scared to death that I'd have to pay that for it.  Then, in the closing seconds of the auction, two other bidders outbid me and it sold for slightly over $1,000.
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 10:18:36 PM »
RCA?    ;)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Finlandia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 12:24:34 AM »
Nice score Larry I saw the seller kept dropping the price from the starting $1699. Should the economy get better to where people start buying what they want instead of what they need it will only go up in value. My guess is not to many of that model have survived complete, I have the factory RCA manual for it if your interested.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 12:29:42 AM »
RCA?    ;)
Gotta mix 'um up.  I don't think I would want everything to be Magnavox.   :-\   But I've been wanting this particular RCA for a long time. 
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 07:39:18 AM »
Yeah, I guess I can overlook it just this once.   ;)

I'll have to admit that I SERIOUSLY considered an RCA "Home Theater" in Tulsa awhile back.  I may have posted pictures of it.  The only thing that saved me was that the stereo was solid state. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »
Yeah, I guess I can overlook it just this once.   ;)

I'll have to admit that I SERIOUSLY considered an RCA "Home Theater" in Tulsa awhile back.  I may have posted pictures of it.  The only thing that saved me was that the stereo was solid state.
I've wondered if you would consider an RCA stereo theatre.  RCA made some really nice ones, but I think they were all New Vistas, which are solid state.  I'm not aware of any RCA stereo theatres made with tubes.
--Larry

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »
Very Nice.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 08:35:14 PM »
I'm jealous Larry, and with all that power it should rock!

Bill

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 01:29:57 AM »
Just arrived back home at midnight tonight with the RCA.  I left here Tuesday morning at 6 a.m., spent the night in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois, then made the trip to Milwaukee this morning to pick it up in West Allis, Wisconsin.  Left West Allis at about 11:30 a.m., and arrived in Little Rock shortly after midnight tonight.  I didn't let any grass grow under my feet on the interstates. 

Will find a buddy tomorrow to help unload it.  The main console is heavier than you might think. The set looks really good, but it needs a tiny bit of TLC here and there to really make it first class.  The brass leg feet on the rocket speaker stands are tarnished, the brass carrying handles on top of each speaker are tarnished, there is a small water mark on the top of the lid, and there's 3-4 small black spots on the grill cloth.  It will look like a million bucks when it's all shined up.

--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 06:11:48 AM »
Since getting back, I have cleaned up the amplifier, replaced 14 wax caps underneath, cleaned the amplifier compartment in the cabinet, and ordered a new needle and new idler from Gary at VM.  Today I plan on replacing the electrolytics.

I still have to recap the pre-amplifier, clean the knobs and control panel plate.  Hopefully I will have the electronics done by the end of the weekend. Here's the amp all cleaned up.
--Larry

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 06:57:53 AM »
Mark

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 08:43:02 AM »
That's one atomic amp chassis there - drool.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave