Author Topic: And We Have Lift-Off  (Read 2450 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: And We Have Lift-Off
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 11:07:38 PM »
Today's project turned out to be restoration of the pre-amplifier.  I replaced the 8 wax caps and two electrolytics in it, checked resistors, sprayed out all the controls, installed two new #47 bulbs, cleaned and tested the two 6CG7 tubes, and cleaned the control panel plate and knobs.  I just got it reinstalled in the cabinet.
--Larry

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 07:58:13 AM »
Good eye on checking resistors in the preamp, as drifting resistors in the tone circuits can cause some issues with the controls working as they should.
Looks like an excellent buy and thread we got here, keep it up Larry! How different is that changer to say an RP-205?

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 09:43:38 AM »
Underneath, the changer is very similar to an RP-205.  The slide is different, and so is the spindle, but that's about it.  Every other part looks just like an RP-205.  Of course, the top of the changer is quite different. This one is an RP-211.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:29:29 PM by Larry H »
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »
Today I installed the electrolytics in the amp, reinstalled the amp in the cabinet, hooked everything up and took her for a test spin.  Wow, the sound is awesome.  The bass does INDEED rattle the floor joists.  Only one problem... the changer won't cycle... so gotta look into fixing that.

I love a good light show.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 02:17:38 PM »
Horray, it is now cycling and changing records.  Motor wiring was binding on the end of the main slide.  Easy fix.  I also added a third platter washer to raise the platter just a tad as the bottom of records were dragging on the 45 adapter in the spindle well.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 04:24:49 PM »
I moved it to a nice spot in the corner of the living room.  Not the stereo separation one might want, but I like the rocket speakers close to the main cabinet.  If you noticed, even the main cabinet has "rocket" legs.  I wasn't about to hide this fabulous set in my back bedroom! This thing is a show piece.

I'll be pulling the changer again tomorrow to install a new idler and new diamond needle in the cartridge.  I never trust needles in sets that I acquire, since you never know what condition the stylus is in.  Always a good policy to just replace the needle, as long as the cartridge is good.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 07:32:27 PM »
This one has the wide mount RCA stereo cartridge that uses an "airplane" needle assembly.
--Larry

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 10:58:28 PM »
Hah, the little things will always get you.
I'm gonna have Magnepan Tympani's, a Magnavox Imperial, EH Scott 510 (don't tell anyone  ;) ) RCA 6-Rf-9, RCA table record player, Crosley Prestotune 11, and a magnavox extension speaker/record cabinet all in one 11x11 room. Is it optimal? No. Is it awesome? Hell yeah. That's the most important part of all this, having fun and doing great work.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »
Well, ladies and gentlemen, after about pulling my hair out trying to fix this changer, I finally got it done last night.  I can now proclaim this fabulous RCA Victor record player finished.  It is undoubtedly the best sounding RCA console I've ever heard.

I had serious issues with the reject mechanism.  I had reinstalled a part incorrectly because a spring was missing.  Someone had worked on this changer previously, and really gummed it up with old grease.  I'd bet I had the changer in and out of the cabinet 30 times.  I'd get something fixed, then another problem would rear its ugly head.  Thank goodness I finally got it fixed last night. 

Now, let there always be "liftoff."  Get the launch pads ready.   :)
--Larry

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 01:30:55 PM »
Looking forward to the Youtube video!
Mark

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2016, 12:04:01 AM »
Looking forward to the Youtube video!
I just got a new camera that takes HD videos, so a video of this RCA is due to premiere soon.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 05:08:31 PM »
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile