Author Topic: 1956-1957 Fisher Ambassador Series Console (Last of Custom Sixty Series)  (Read 1217 times)

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
I sent out an S.O.S under "Wanted" a couple of weeks ago for help purchasing a console in the Dallas, TX area.  This is the console I was trying to aquire, a 1956-57 Fisher Ambassodor Series console.  It was Fisher's TOTL console in 1956.  In 1957 it dropped to third in their pecking order behind the new Stereophonic "President" and "Executive" consoles.

When the seller found out I was out of town, all communication stopped.  David, AMP82-01-00, suggested I contract a shipper and have them pay for the console with cash on pick up.  "Money talks" and does it ever.  As soon as I mentioned cash purchase in a follow up email, the seller took the bait.  8) Thanks David, for the suggestion!  I picked the console up today from the freight terminal and am thrilled with its condition! It is complete, original, and unmolested.

The Fisher Ambassador series consists of three main chassis, all chrome plated, reminiscent of EH Scott consoles in the 1930's.  The model 360R tuner/preamp, 360P amplifier power supply, and the 360A amplifier.  The amplifier is PP 1614 power tubes (6L6), with HUGE output iron! These later Ambassador Series consoles used three separate speakers, instead of a coaxial or triaxial speaker.  In fact, this one uses the exact same speaker arrangement as my 1956 Fisher Custom Electra DeLuxe.  All Electro-Voice speakers: The EV 15WK base speaker, the EV 847HF coaxial mid horn, and the EV T35B tweeter. It uses the EV X336 crossover.  The console is completed with a Garrard RC98L record changer.

I'm lucky to have found this console. It was just listed as a "Vintage Fisher Radio" and had a couple of images of the cabinet and one of the record changer.  I was able to recognize the cabinet as Fisher's "Hampshire" cabinet, which was only used on their higher end radio consoles. More images of the electronics reaffirmed my hunches that it is a unique console.
Paul

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
More images:
Paul

walyfd

• View Profile
Excellent!  Glad to see another Fisher saved...

Bill

• View Profile
Hi Paul,

Wow, it's beautiful!  So where did you see the ad? 

Bill

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
I saw it on CL in Dallas, TX.  I was bored one night and performing CL searches from the east coast to the west coast, just looking at what was out there at this time.  Not looking for anything specific.  Really just trying to grab images of interesting consoles, but this one really grabbed my attention.

Below are the only three images in the original listing.  I saw the fluted columns on the corners of the console.  The "Hampshire" and "Georgian" cabinets were the only ones that I know of in the 1950's that Fisher made with those fluted columns.  The ring pulls on both the upper and lower part of the cabinet indicated it was a "Hampshire" cabinet. It was only used in the higher end consoles.  That's what caught my attention.  I asked for images of the electronics from the rear.  The seller abliged and the resulting images confirmed my suspicions.  The last two images are two that the seller sent to me after my request.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 09:30:22 PM by amglow »
Paul

Bill

• View Profile
Thanks Paul....Great Find!

Bill

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
That's a real Beauty Paul!!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
Those EV 15W's are excellent, excellent woofers. That unit when finished should sound excellent even if it's downfiring (seemed to be a design choice they commonly made)

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
I pulled the amp last night and performed a quick clean up to see how it would look.  To say I'm pleased is an understatement!
Paul

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Shiny!!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile