Author Topic: Set top boxes  (Read 597 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Set top boxes
« on: July 23, 2016, 11:52:34 AM »
We have three of the little wireless set-top boxes for our cable TV.  I was dusting in my "laboratory" this morning and found the melamine shelf under the set-top box had been damaged by heat from the box.  We have a couple more sitting on wooden cabinets.  I placed a hot pad made to go under coffee pots under the set top boxes on the wooden cabinets.  I did not realize those little boxes ran so warm.  They put out enough heat they could damage a good finish, I'm sure.  You might want to check if you have a set-top box that it is not damaging something it is sitting on.   
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Set top boxes
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 01:05:26 PM »
I noticed the Digitalstream 9900 boxes run hot and I just repaired two that had bulged electrolytics in the power supply board, causing them to fault-blink the power LED. The funny thing is, the heat comes from the "processor" board, not the power supply.

Since these STB's only need to "see" the remote, Ive been putting them on little shelves I glued under the TV table, not on the TV.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Set top boxes
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:44:21 PM »
You can sometimes add heat sinks, either commercial ones or made from aluminum, to help under-engineered devices run cooler.

Chris Campbell