Author Topic: The Magnepan Tympani 1D Adventure.  (Read 491 times)

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
The Magnepan Tympani 1D Adventure.
« on: August 15, 2016, 08:15:41 PM »
I live in Moline Illinois, and unfortunately this area is almost totally devoid of high end audio gear. You'll see your typical pioneer SX-780 or Marantz 2220, but never anything 'beyond that level.' Fortunately, I live near St Louis (if you consider 5 hours "living near") and I know a friend there who is a very generous audiophile, and has basically taught me everything I know in the realm of high fidelity reproduction of sound.

Fortunately, he knew a friend dave who was selling a set of speakers I rarely ever see in the US, let alone my area, and that is a set of Magnepan Tympani 1D's, magnepan's top of the line speaker model marketed by Audio Research Corp prominently stamped into the backplate. These speakers are quite rare as they are probably the most unconventional speakers ever made (or in the top 5.) 83db efficiency, and 6 feet tall with a width of a whopping 4.5ft (bigger then most consoles, and there's one per side!) As a result, hardly any exist in the real world due to very, very little sales for such a speaker. He ended up selling them for $300, and as a lover of my Magnepan MGI's, I had to scoop them up considering they have the original boxes and perfect socks! (besides the yellowing of course)

If you are not familiar with planar magnetics (IE magneplanar,) they essentially operate just like a conventional loudspeaker, except with the layout changed. Instead of having the wire wrapped around a coil former, it is glued to one side of a mylar sheet that is tensioned juuuust right. Then, a row of magnets are positioned on the other side of the loudspeaker, and thus you have a planar magnetic.

A typical magnepan has two drivers on one sheet, a tweeter and midrange/woofer. However, the tympani does more and decides to have independent panels for bass and treble. As well as many tweaks to wire thickness, mylar tension, ect, and you have the difference between a conventional magnepan and a Tympani.

Like all magnepans of old, they need new wires as the aluminum wires oxidize and create breaks, resulting in a lack of continuity or 'open' woofers. Fortunately, the tweeters are perfect. I wanted to make this thread both for archiving my work and so curious people here can see something rarely ever seen before, these are essentially the Magnavox CG of the hifi world in terms of rareness and sheer presence within a room.

To do list:
Clean all the socks with woolite to remove nicotine staining
Replace crossover capacitors with Solen Polypropylene
Re wire the bass panels and patch any mylar rips or holes.
Manufacture stands for bottom support.

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Re: The Magnepan Tympani 1D Adventure.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 10:06:49 PM »
Very cool. It looks like a room divider. What year are they from?

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 11:40:10 PM »
Early to mid 80's.

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
Well...I've been working on these off and on in my time spurts between college and personal matters. They coming together very well, got one in my listening room and well, it's something else. Their size kinda speaks for itself. New socks, rewired all the panels, and they're coming together beautifully. Just gotta get a tweeter for one side and I'll have a working like new pair  :D