Author Topic: Astrosonic 100 provincial  (Read 834 times)

Stereorob

• Whats it Wurf
    • View Profile
Astrosonic 100 provincial
« on: September 05, 2016, 11:36:14 PM »
 Astro-Sonic score
so I went to an estate sale where they had a old Maggie astrosonic console they wanted $50 for. I asked them if they would sell it to me for $20 if it didn't sell at the end of the sale and they told me they would rather give it to goodwill than sell it to me for 20. I had a little rant about this on another thread..

well the story dosent end there.

turns out just as I suspected, the console didn't sell at the estate sale. ive been cruising by the house everyday waiting to eather see the console in the trash or intercept the goodwill truck that would just send it straight to a dumpster., turns out the next day after work when I drove by there was a Maserati in the driveway and the door was open. I parked my car and walked up to the door, where there was a real estate agent who had just sold the house as a tear down (sad cause its a really nice late 40s house that's huge but needs work, but it sits in a million dollar area) the house was full of crap still from the sale, he was kind of panicked cause he had to have the house empty by 4 the next afternoon and he had a clean out crew coming to haul everything to the dump.

there sat the console.

I asked him about it but was trying to be douchie and tried to sell it to me for more than the estate sale wanted for it. I told him forget it and drove away.
The next morning the cleaning crew was there and the agent was not. I asked them about the console and they told me they were taking everything to the dump and if I wanted it, I could take it.

SCORE!!!

I raced home and begged my sister to use her jeep for a few mins, and she was half asleep so she said I could, so I ran back over and dragged the console out of the house and got it home....

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Astrosonic 100 provincial
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:51:25 AM »
Sometimes, waiting pays off at the end.  Good that you got it for free.
--Larry

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 02:09:19 PM »
Congratulations on your score. I have the same console which is identical except my model has the newer Micromatic changer that has the newer style tonearm.

Your console will need a complete recap to bring it back to factory specs.  I recapped mine about 5-6 years ago.  A filter cap underneath the chassis swelled so bad a piece of it had broken off and fell out when I removed the amp.

Mouser has all the caps you need.  I would check the resistors in the power amp to make sure they are within tolerance. Several of mine were not and look like they had overheated at some point in time.
Ray

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 02:39:44 PM »
Great Job on the rescue. Persistence pays off and isn't it amazing how these D-bags operate, as if THEIR position is not obvious!

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 08:00:26 PM »
Great save at a great price!  It's always fun to be in the right place at the right time.  The only problem with freebies is that they are really hard to turn down, and some of us eventually run out of space for our treasures.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 09:37:51 AM »
Awesome score and for free!

Bill