Author Topic: Unknown Fisher console  (Read 845 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Unknown Fisher console
« on: September 06, 2016, 03:06:05 PM »
A semi-local kid was referred to me, having a Fisher console he wants to "get rid of".  He stopped by with his cell phone to show me some "pictures" of it.  Your typical blurry cellphone pictures taken by someone who knows zipkus about one of these things.  All I know for sure is he said it "worked" until he loaned it to his sister, who "broke" it.  When quizzed about just what was "broke", he pointed to a couple of "busted fuses in the back."  The two "busted fuses" were Telefunken 6BQ5 audio tubes.  It is housed in a cherry or mahogany finished cabinet, has a Garrard turntable in a compartment on the RH end of the cabinet and has the number "440-A" as a chassis number on what appears to be the amp chassis.  He did not have any pictures of the speakers or the tuner or MPX (?) chassis.  Not in bad shape, really, the cabinet appears to be about the size of a Magnavox Imperial cabinet, judging against other stuff sitting around it in the pictures.  The tuner dial and knobs have a distinctively "Magnavox-ish" look to them.  I do not have a picture of the back, but I would guess that it has a big hole in it, caused by whatever punched thru the back and broke the two "fuses".  The kid is hot to dump it, probably really cheap, ( certainly my price range!) and I would hate to see it go to the dump.  I have absolutely no interest in it for my collection.  If I end up with it, it will be for sale.  Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to what this thing is, based on the rather sketchy information I have?

From what I could see, replacing a couple tubes might get the thing up and running. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Fisher console
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 03:55:43 PM »
it would bed worth getting if you get it for next to nothing.
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 04:33:44 PM »
That is my thinking, too, Larry.  I'd like to get an idea of what it is without giving this poor kid the "business" if you know what I mean.  The kid seems like a good kid, just not very knowledgeable about it, and I'm not either. 

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:32:01 PM »
Not a lot to go by but it could be worth pursuing.  Any tubed Fisher is...

440 A traces back to 1961 Custom Electra.  Sold new for $545.  Wonder if it has an additional mpx...

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 05:32:43 PM »
Sounds like it could be a custom elelctra or similar...  http://fisherconsoles.com/custom%20electra%20IV.html
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 09:30:50 PM »
The tuner was in the changer compartment and was horizontal, ala Magnavox.  I'm never going to get much closer than I have, unfortunately.  The young man called and asked me to make an offer.  I hate doing that.  I typically get a better deal when a desperate seller cuts his throat himself.  I have still never seen the instrument up close.  Based on the pictures and on the spotty information I had, I told him $25. He was not happy with that.  He said he would sell it cheap, but not that cheap.  He did not make a counter-offer.

It appears to me to have been a "Custom Electra IV Provincial" the second picture in the link.  Thank you everybody.

The instrument is in central Missouri.  If any of you guys would like to get in touch with the seller, let me know.