Author Topic: Altec A7 Voice of the Theater  (Read 479 times)

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
Altec A7 Voice of the Theater
« on: September 10, 2016, 12:20:21 AM »
Since all the guys on the other audio forums gets all their fun with their speakers, let's have some fun ourselves.
So I went into depth on a post about a score I made on same magnepan speakers, didn't draw much attention but maybe it will when I actually get around to working on them. So I got something a bit more 'period correct' if you well, I present to you the Altec Lansing A7 VOTT, one of the most iconic loudspeakers of all time.
These speakers are not perfect, they are quite beat up and the horn arrangement is unusual, as the horns are actually inside of the bass port (if you can call it that.) the paint appears to be totally original, and I wasn't even expecting the extra horn. We'll be taking them apart, as these are actually now my Dad's 'end game' speakers that he'll be running with a SE 6BQ5 amplifier. So I'll report on the driver compliment and progress painting (we got some factory matched paint with it!)

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Altec A7 Voice of the Theater
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 06:45:39 PM »
From what I've seen those are some expensive speakers. Very nice

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 12:35:15 AM »
They're quite pricey, we got plans to make them VERY nice. Here's some more pics, we popped them open today.

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 08:20:16 AM »
Always a relief to find everything untouched and all original. I was nervous opening up my Altec's. I would hate to find some Walmart speakers in there.

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »
We were able to identify most of it from the auction pictures. Too bad two of the horns are blown. We got a pretty small sum into these, so we can work with it.