Author Topic: Another Accidental Concert Grand  (Read 1628 times)

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Another Accidental Concert Grand
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:07:15 PM »
Hi all,
I have not been very active as of late due to taking on a new assignment at work and remodeling the house. As I've mentioned in previous posts I have a nice collection of high end consoles and am not really looking for any more right now. As luck would have it though, I hopped on craigslist just for a moment this afternoon and spotted a 15 hour old post for a Concert Grand in Chicago. It was a Danish Modern in walnut with the eye tube tuner. The seller was asking $250 for it. I sent a quick email expressing my interest and that I could come this very evening to get it. I didn't expect to hear back, I was sure someone else would've bought it already.

To my surprise the seller wrote back quickly with his phone number. Long story short: after a 140 mile round trip there is another Concert Grand at my house. The unit is rather interesting, it has the early style tuner, remote control chassis, the newer Micromatic changer and real wood veneer tops. I have not had the back off to see if it has the single or dual rectifier amps or a multiplex unit yet.

The wood veneer sliding tops are the first I've ever seen on a Magnavox. They are not a faux finish, they are genuine walnut veneer applied on the top and bottom of the usual magnavox masonite panels. They are clearly original and unmodified. They have factory part numbers stenciled on their bottoms.I will have to take pictures and measurements of them so that others with missing or broken glass tops can make duplicate panels in an original style.

I will post pics of the unit this weekend when I have time. This is the first Concert Grand I've ever found and purchased on a whim. I bet I'll be able to find a good home for it......

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Another Accidental Concert Grand
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 11:45:11 PM »
Great find, Pat.  I'd buy one on a whim too for $250.  The only Concert Grand I've seen with wood sliding tops is Revolverone's CG, which I understand is the last Concert Grand made.  It has the usual 8 output tubes in each amp, but only a single rectifier tube.  His CG has a later tuner too with a shadow meter instead of green tuning eye.
--Larry

Deutschgerg

• Lexington, Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 11:49:58 PM »
Wow! Congrats Pat on this incredibly lucky find. Why is it that some of you guys have two and three of the Concert Grands and Imperials and I don't have even one? Ha Ha. Seriously though, glad you found this CG and rescued it. I know there are CG's and Imperials here in Lexington; I just haven't located them yet.

Thanks for sharing this news.

Regards,

Greg

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 12:08:50 AM »
Another CG eh? Are you planning on owning every variation they ever made?  ;D

Keep this thread going, hopefully my Eh Scott restoration will reel in the replies this does lol

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 01:53:02 AM »
What a great way to start the weekend Pat!!

This proves once again that there are still cheap CG's out there to be had AND that when it comes to Magnavox (and sliding tops), nothing is set in stone (or glass)!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
It was definitely a wonderful find and the gentleman that I bought it from couldn't have been nicer. I was even given a box of tubes and a FADA radio as a bonus. This particular Concert Grand is surplus for me as I don't need two Danish Modern's. I'm thinking that I will move it along as I have a lead on another and even more rare TOTL console........

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 11:19:17 AM »
Another congrats.  Just curious but was it advertised as a Concert Grand or did you just recognize it by a photo?

They're out there but you just have to be lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 11:30:13 AM »
Another congrats.  Just curious but was it advertised as a Concert Grand or did you just recognize it by a photo?

They're out there but you just have to be lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

The console was listed as a Magnavox Stereo in the title with the picture that I immediately recognized. In the text it clearly stated Magnificent Magnavox Concert Grand. I gave everybody in Chicago a 15 hour head start and I still got it :D

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 11:39:18 AM »
The console was listed as a Magnavox Stereo in the title with the picture that I immediately recognized. In the text it clearly stated Magnificent Magnavox Concert Grand. I gave everybody in Chicago a 15 hour head start and I still got it :D
This gentleman likely had no idea his console was worth 5-6 times what you paid for it.  A danish model can easily bring $1500.  Did it come with the remote?
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 12:36:17 PM »
The remote was missing Larry, but I did acquire a spare awhile back.

You bring up an interesting concern of mine. I've been pursuing this hobby under the following ethical guideline. If someone asks me (as a person knowledgable in the field) what something is worth, I answer truthfully to the best of my ability. If on the other hand, someone values an item their self and simply puts it for sale, I do not feel bound to tell them if it's worth more than they're asking. I did really score on this, but I have spent years learning this field to be able to make these finds happen. I also jumped through lots of hoops including Friday rush hour traffic in Chicago.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 01:28:23 PM »
You bring up an interesting concern of mine. I've been pursuing this hobby under the following ethical guideline. If someone asks me (as a person knowledgable in the field) what something is worth, I answer truthfully to the best of my ability. If on the other hand, someone values an item their self and simply puts it for sale, I do not feel bound to tell them if it's worth more than they're asking. I did really score on this, but I have spent years learning this field to be able to make these finds happen. I also jumped through lots of hoops including Friday rush hour traffic in Chicago.
None of us are obligated to tell a seller what his or her console is actually worth.  We simply pay what they are asking, or even negotiate a slightly lower price, and leave with the console knowing we got one heckuva deal.  You're not cheating anyone.... just paying their asking price.

It's the seller's obligation to research their console to determine its approximate value.
--Larry

Deutschgerg

• Lexington, Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 10:41:29 PM »
Worth and value are what someone is willing to pay for an item. It appears that the two individuals in this transaction, the seller and the buyer, Pat, are both satisfied with the outcome. The seller got rid of an "old stereo console" and the buyer bought something that he feels passionately about restoring and saving. They both are winners.

Kudos to you Pat.

Regards,

Greg

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 12:28:15 PM »
Great score Pat, looking forward to the pics. If only I lived closer...
Mark

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 06:26:52 PM »
In case anyone thought I was teasing :)

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator