Author Topic: Favorite record changers?  (Read 514 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Favorite record changers?
« on: October 20, 2016, 09:44:57 PM »
OK, let's have a discussion about favorite brands and models of record changers.  Let's leave the Magnavox Collaros out and discuss other brands.  The ones I see most often in the LP era are V-M and Garrard, and more recently BSR and Dual.  There are a bunch of others like Glaser-Steers and some of the brands that made their own, like Philco.

V-M made lots of inexpensive changers with two-pole motors for general service and private label sales, but I've got a stand-alone changer with 4-pole motor and plug-in headshell that uses a GE VR-II variable reluctance magnetic cartridge.

The Garrards seemed to follow the British rule of the more complex, the better.  The old RC-80, -88, and -90 models had those little belts to drive the sheaves that drove the idler wheels. 

My most durable, mechanically-effective ones are the old Duals (1009, 1019).

Chris Campbell

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite record changers?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 07:35:18 AM »
Record changers were out of style when I started getting into audio in the mid-70s. I only know them from getting into vintage in the last 5 years or so, and since I'm a Maggie fan I only have Webster and Collaro. I find the Websters are built like tanks and will probably outlast all of us.
Mark

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:29:02 AM »
I'm biased toward Dual, since my folks bought a 1009 since I was 4. It was up high enough so I could not operate it until I was older. The only issue is the headshell and cart wiring which is not soldered to the lugs and finger contacts. Its only crimped and silver reacts with the copper creating high resistance.

I'm am only mentioning Admiral's ensign because they made their own for a few years , using them and V-M changers.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 02:28:54 PM »
I'm solidly in the Dual Camp as well!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:37:20 PM »
I didn't realize what the exact failure mode was in the Dual cartridge wiring, but when one channel started disappearing I learned that soldering the connectors on solved the problem.

And yeah, the Webster changer in my ca. 1951 Magnavox is a hefty, sturdy device.  I don't see it very often in photos here--most common are the older variety.

Chris Campbell

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:14:13 PM »
My favorite auto changers would be:
Garrard Type A/Type A II
Dual 1229Q/ 1019
Garrard RC/88 or similar models with the GE VR cartridge
And of course the Webster Chicago's loaded with the GE VR cartridge, which is in my opinion the nicest cartridge for mono 78 playback ever made.

And my favorite 'hifi' or non auto changers would be:
Gates CB-77
REK O KUT, all of them.
B&O turntables with new cartridges

Phototone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:18:31 AM »
My favorite record changer of all time is the Mirachord PW50H I purchased new in about 1965 and is still going strong with zero repair.  It is an idler-wheel drive to a massive platter, with a well designed tonearm, cartridge inserts (for multiple cartridges) and anti-skate.  It has a feature where the rubber idler-wheel is disengaged from the turntable and motor shaft when off, so there can never be flat spots.  As far as console turntables, I find I'm rather liking the RCA Studiomatic Feathertouch on my 1964 VF480 all tube console.  It has a "floating" ceramic cartridge that is pivoted from the rear of the cart. The tone arm has a little nub brush on the very end that rests on the record, and the cart is the only weight on the needle in the groove, so it tracks fairly light, and surprisingly for a ceramic, it sounds really good.  It also has a full size approx 12 inch turntable.

VintageTubeAudio

• View Profile
    • Vintage Audio Equipment and Restorations
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 10:24:56 PM »
I like Direct Drive Record Changers. These would be the most recently made record changers usually made by Technics. Direct drive: nothing to wear out - literally no running noise and work with low tracking force cartridges. And: I can modify some models to cover 16 or 78 RPM (for vintage and specialty records)....