Author Topic: Praise for Magnavox amps  (Read 329 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Praise for Magnavox amps
« on: October 25, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
Not sure which category to post this in.  Long ago I subscribed to a little publication called Audio Amateur.  It emphasized DIY audio projects--building and improving. Eventually it morphed into other named publications until now it's Audio Express.  The latest issue arrived today and had an interesting article on rebuilding two mid-1950s Fairchild audio power amps.  The author notes that "I have rebuilt hundreds of tube amplifier from Magnavox, Eico, Heath, Dynaco, Scott, Fisher, Marantz, McIntosh, Sansui, and many others."  Hey, pretty good company for Magnavox, to be included in that list!

Chris Campbell

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
Re: Praise for Magnavox amps
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 08:56:11 PM »
They're not bad at all, though they definitely have room for improvement depending on the model/type

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Praise for Magnavox amps
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:35:47 PM »
Well, it's always possible to identify deficiencies, even in that list of pretty good brands.  The list includes a wide range of price points, from Heath and Eico on up.  The author of the article concluded that the big Fairchild amps were the best tube amps ever made because of their well-engineered output transformers, among other things.  But he found some design issues to criticize, including the damping-factor feedback adjustment. (I've got a little Bogen integrated amp, a DB-115, that also has a damping factor feedback circuit).  The point is that Magnavox came to mind when he listed the interesting amplifiers he had worked on. 

Chris Campbell