Author Topic: Magnavox tape recorder  (Read 809 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Magnavox tape recorder
« on: November 08, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »
A few days ago I promised some photos of a small portable Magnavox tape recorder.  This little guy has 3" reels and uses a real capstan drive system (some cheap ones used reel drive).  The first photo shows the label--the traditional Magnavox style, even though this is an Asian machine.  Note that it says 117 volts, 60 cycles--which is plainly untrue.  It is a 4-cell battery system (6 volt), with no outboard power provision.  The next photo shows it with the cover on, then with the cover off. 

Some of you aim to collect only the finest, or only tubes, or whatever.  At my house, no orphan electronics ever get turned away.  I collect anything that finds me.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox tape recorder
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »
I forgot to add....  It's not only a genuine capstan drive machine, but it also has two electromagnetic heads--erase and record/play.  Cheap machines often used a magnet for erase, and presumably no bias signal.

Chris

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 10:37:16 PM »
I also collect many different kinds of electronics.

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 08:29:23 AM »
Made by JVC I assume? That stuff was actually pretty good quality.
Mark

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 07:13:09 PM »
I don't know who made it.  Any ways to verify?  I didn't remove the top plastic, just the bottom, and that didn't reveal any info beyond the two Magnavox labels, both claiming that this battery device operated on 117 VAC. 

One regret was giving away a Sony tube recorder when I moved.  I had found it somewhere in the trash and had to build a cabinet for it and, as I recall, replace a tube or two.  It was built to a very high standard, almost mil-spec looking.

Chris Campbell

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 10:29:32 AM »
Check the brand of the motor.
Mark

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 10:54:30 PM »
I was hoping to avoid any more disassembly--some Asian devices are devilishly hard to get apart.  But curiosity got the best of me.  The suggestion about the motor--yeah, I'll look, and maybe I'll see something on the PC board.  I've got an Allied receiver and all of the circuit boards have Pioneer ID info on them.

First of all, I failed to identify the model no.--it's 1TR106M. 

And so I took it apart and--no info!  There's a number on it--R-S 515, but Google doesn't give me a motor with that number.  Remote controls, lamps, fuses, audio mixers, tires....

The PC board has no name on it either, not any of the other components.

But it's a nicely made little thing.

Chris Campbell

VintageTubeAudio

• View Profile
    • Vintage Audio Equipment and Restorations
Re: Magnavox tape recorder - Another Magnavox Tape recorder
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 10:02:31 PM »
I have another Magnavox tape recorder (model 1K088). Apparently made in Japan. From other decks I worked on I consider that it could have been made by SONY. Does anybody know more about it - or where I might find a schematic for it?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »
That one does look a lot like a Sony 250 or 350, based on the head cover and control placement.

Chris Campbell

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox tape recorder - Another Magnavox Tape recorder
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 11:56:13 PM »
I have another Magnavox tape recorder (model 1K088). Apparently made in Japan. From other decks I worked on I consider that it could have been made by SONY. Does anybody know more about it - or where I might find a schematic for it?

The Magnavox tape recorder you have was made by Panasonic and is a model RS-776US.
Ray