Author Topic: What are the best sounding still available ceramic cartridges?  (Read 865 times)

Phototone

• View Profile
What are the best sounding still available ceramic cartridges?
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:02:31 AM »
Was just wondering what are the best sounding still available ceramic cartridges? I know some are designed for specific turntables, but still, almost 100% of the consoles we are interested in were designed for ceramic cartridges.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: What are the best sounding still available ceramic cartridges?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 03:07:50 PM »
I have had had good results using the Pfahnstiehl P-226 that Gary sells at thevoiceofmusic.com
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 08:22:02 PM »
For a Magnavox, I believe it is hard to beat the Electro-Voice model 26 that was commonly found in the older tube consoles.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 01:20:05 AM »
https://www.turntableneedles.com/ELECTRO-VOICE-26_p_2852.html

Considering a new EV26 costs $90 (almost a third of what these consoles are typically worth, unless danish modern) just get a magnetic cartridge and if needed a phono pre.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 02:18:08 PM »
Gary at VM has the EV-26 cartridges for around $30.
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 03:35:18 PM »
Alexander, by what authority do you make the statement that fixing a Magnavox with Provincial cabinet is not worth the trouble?  My wife will not allow me to own a Danish Magnavox.  She thinks that Danish furniture went out in the 1960's with orange shag carpet and slide-out ranges.

If my Provincial cabinet Magnavoxes are not worth fixing with the correct parts, how are they more worthy of repair by some kluge like a magnetic cartridge and a pre-amp, which will probably cost more than the correct parts and give me a hack in return?

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 02:12:33 PM »
While I agree with you Larry that teh EV 26 is probably the best, they are no longer in production, and no one seems to have a steady supply of NOS carts... even Gary.

Stock up while you can!

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 06:55:14 PM »
Given the renewed interest in vinyl, and what appears to be a flood of el cheapo record players under the Crosley and similar names, you'd think that there might be a market for a new, high-quality ceramic cartridge.  Maybe it's just as easy to use magnetics for better quality devices today.  But still....

I've got an old Emerson 820B portable mono phono. I bought it at a sale when i was in grad school and used it occasionally to take to work--hey, this is WAY pre-iPod or Walkman even!--to amplify my Sony tape deck or maybe play some library records.  It has a Sonotone aftermarket cartridge, and I was surprised to read that it was fairly well regarded.  The portable phone actually sounds pretty good, as I remember--it has two 6" speakers and a push-pull output with 35L6s.  It taught me to be a bit less snobby about equipment.Can't recall offhand which model Sonotone it is.

Chris Campbell

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 11:09:07 AM »
Alexander, by what authority do you make the statement that fixing a Magnavox with Provincial cabinet is not worth the trouble?  My wife will not allow me to own a Danish Magnavox.  She thinks that Danish furniture went out in the 1960's with orange shag carpet and slide-out ranges.

If my Provincial cabinet Magnavoxes are not worth fixing with the correct parts, how are they more worthy of repair by some kluge like a magnetic cartridge and a pre-amp, which will probably cost more than the correct parts and give me a hack in return?
Yeah, objectively provincial cabinets aren't really worth a whole lot. It sucks, but that's the truth.  Danish modern consoles are objectively worth more then provincial cabinet styles.

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
Also, replacing a ceramic cart to a magnetic is not 'hacking' anything up. By that logic replacing wax caps in an amp with films is also hacking it up.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 08:20:20 PM »
Got it.   :-\