Author Topic: Replace all carbon resistors?  (Read 311 times)

Phototone

• View Profile
Replace all carbon resistors?
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:09:19 AM »
So, on my high-end tube amps I have replaced every small component (resistors, capacitors) with modern ones.  I'm talking Macintosh and other brands.  Of course they sound wonderful, but I actually didn't listen to them before restoration.  Now, on to console tube amps.  I always replace wax caps and electrolytic caps, but I'm wondering on 55 year old gear, would I have a noticeable improvement if I shotgun replaced all the resistors?

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
Re: Replace all carbon resistors?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
If the resistors are within tolerance, I leave them alone.  For piece of mind you may want to replace the cathode resistors on the output tubes.  Once in a while you may have a noisy resistor, but it's not that common a problem.

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 01:34:06 PM »
The way I see it, you have to desolder one side anyway to test a resistor, so why not desolder the other side and replace it? They always seem to test high in the units I've refurbished.
Mark

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 01:21:36 AM »
To answer your question, no you wont notice a marginal fidelity improvement. You will if they're BAD (over 20% unless banded otherwise) and that'll call for replacement. I typically shotgun cathode resistors for 1%ers of the same value for long stability.