Author Topic: Magnavox 153B Hepplewhite Console  (Read 1097 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox 153B Hepplewhite Console
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 11:01:07 PM »
So what kind of wall wart power supply is that, to make such RF noise?  A poorly designed or shielded switching unit?

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 06:44:10 AM »
the quiet one in place now is a shielded switching unit.  The bad one is a straight transformer rectifier.  It must've failed internally.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 07:56:45 PM »
Now, I am looking to install an OEM type Webster turntable in the unit.  It had Some disintegrated aftermarket amalgamation of pieces parts and portions in it.  I got the turntable and found that the drawer frame to mount it had been heavily modified at some point as to render it unusable.  I found another frame that had come from a Windsor and the area where the turntable rests is perfect. the frame has flanges on each side where the sliders mount and is too wide for the Hepplewhite.    The gray frame is the current one in the Hepplewhite.  The burgundy one is the Windsor frame.  The side angle shows the flange on one side.  The gray one has a straight wall.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 09:59:21 PM »
It looks to me like the worst part of the modification is that one of the holes for the suspension is gone on your original part.  Why could you not get a piece of metal approximately the same thickness as the original frame and patch the original part?  The best way would be to have a welder or bodyshop weld a piece in and smooth it down, then repaint the part.  Or, failing that, you could drill both the patch and the part and rivet them together.  I'm not sure how much of it is going to show from around the changer.  Or you could take a good side out of the replacement part and weld or rivet it to the original.  I can see you making a usable part from the two you have.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 10:12:49 AM »
I have a semi-retired laptop I keep much of my music library on and I play it through the console and as a lot of it is older jazz and big band, this console does the job very well.
You can say that again, I tell everyone that to truly appreciate a TUBE console, you must choose music from the era when it was made and enjoyed
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 10:19:16 AM »
What cartridge do you plan to use on the original record changer? Im not sure if the original was a crystal cart and now a bit of amplification added to the CR198 input to use a ceramic cart.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave