Author Topic: Fabulous Mint Zenith Console Found Today  (Read 3185 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Fabulous Mint Zenith Console Found Today
« on: November 27, 2016, 04:15:10 PM »
I found this fabulous, mint condition, Zenith J880R console today at a nearby antique mall, and it followed me home.  Somebody really cared for this console... it's the nicest example of original mahogany wood that I've ever seen.  It looks like it just came out of the box in 1951.  The AM/FM tuner face is in perfect condition, and so is the fabulous Cobra-matic changer.  I'm really loving these Zeniths now days.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:50:23 AM by Larry H »
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Fabulous Mint Zenith Console Found Today
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 06:08:14 PM »
You sure have a knack for finding the good ones, Larry.  Nice find.

Are you in danger of being tossed out of the RCA club messing around with Magnavox and now Zenith?   ;)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 06:17:10 PM »
Are you in danger of being tossed out of the RCA club messing around with Magnavox and now Zenith?   ;)
Nope, I'm still an RCA guy at heart.  Have two RCAs right now... the 1960 "rocket" console, and an 8EY Deluxe 45 player.

I am enjoying the challenge of working on other brands of consoles and record players, however.  I've now restored several Magnavox consoles, a Silvertone fiberglass record player, Columbia 360 K-2, Zenith Cobra 78 player, etc.  I'm planning to sell some of them.

Revolverone on this forum spotted this at the antique mall and sent me an email about it today.  I immediately got dressed and went over to the antique mall to look at.  Once I saw it, I knew it was coming home with me.  This thing is flawless and is museum quality... I simply can't believe it.

The seller had a $225 price tag on it and I would have gladly paid that for it.  But I had the clerk up front call him and see if he'd accept a $175 offer for it.  He accepted it.  It pays to haggle, at least a little bit.  I saved $50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:53:01 AM by Larry H »
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 06:32:10 PM »
I've gotten hooked on Zenith cobra-matics recently.  Last week I bought this highly desirable bakelite model on eBay.  It hasn't shipped yet, and I hope it doesn't arrive in pieces.  I gave the seller specific instructions to double box it for safe shipping. 
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:11:06 PM »
I like the variable speed control on the Cobramatic changer.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 02:49:20 AM »
I like the variable speed control on the Cobramatic changer.
I like that too.  If you like your music a tad fast or slow, will be easy to adjust.
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 03:07:55 PM »
Man that thing looks like it was just delivered by the Department Store!!!

Nice find Larry!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
Great console. One owner low miles.  I have one very similar but different.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:21:56 PM »
The bakelite Zenith arrived Monday and survived shipping in great shape.  It's a dirty, filthy cabinet, but it should clean up nicely and look good once everything is cleaned and polished.

The changer is another story.  You can't see it in this picture, but there are a bunch of rust spots on the metal motorboard behind the platter/tone arm, and the flocking is coming off the platter.  The underneath of the changer is pretty gummed up with old grease, so quite a bit of dismantling will be necessary. Good thing there aren't too many underneath parts on these Cobra-matic changers.  Here's a picture of the bakelite set's changer.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:37:01 AM by Larry H »
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
The Cobra-matic changer in the Zenith console is nothing short of fabulous.  I cleaned up the top of the changer tonight, and polished the chrome record support arm with Brasso.  It is simply beautiful.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 01:00:57 AM »
Today I completed servicing both Cobra-matic changers, and I was able to refurbish the large drive wheel in each changer with my cordless drill and 400 grit sandpaper backed by an old credit card.  Both changers need the little drive wheel that runs vertically, so I ordered two of them from Gary at VM.

This photo of the bakelite set's changer shows the rust spots on the gold metal motorboard behind the platter, and the deteriorating flocking on the platter.  I'm going to remove the platter, mask the plastic parts off, cover the top of the changer with a garbage bag, sand down the rust spots and spray paint the part of the motorboard you can see.  I am also going to get a reflocking kit and reflock that ugly platter.  I've never reflocked a platter, so now is a good time to learn how.
--Larry

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 09:14:56 AM »
I understand you need an electric charge to properly flock a platter. Interested to see how you do this.
Mark

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 01:42:16 PM »
I understand you need an electric charge to properly flock a platter. Interested to see how you do this.
No, you only need an electrostatic charge if you want the fibres to stand up on the platter.  Here's a video of how easy it is to reflock a platter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge6cghQJp6Y
--Larry

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 03:13:43 PM »
He isn't really flocking it without the electrostatic charge.
Mark

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 04:32:26 PM »
Nice looking set!  It is a wonder how some of them makes it through time and use unfazed.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke