Author Topic: Fabulous Mint Zenith Console Found Today  (Read 2838 times)

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
Re: Fabulous Mint Zenith Console Found Today
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 05:53:58 PM »
Belongs in a museum!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
Nice looking set!  It is a wonder how some of them makes it through time and use unfazed.
It depends on who owned them and how meticulous they were in taking care of them. Anytime a set gets thrown in an outside shed, it's going to get banged up and suffer from the severe heat and cold, and may get water damage as well.  Most of these sets will have rusty changers or amplifier chassis'. 

A set kept inside a home, particularly if the owner didn't have any kids or inside pets, stands a better chance of surviving. It's obvious this console was kept by a woman or couple who were meticulous with their home and belongings.
--Larry

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 12:27:16 PM »
My thoughts exactly.  It looked as well cared for as my great aunts RCA color set she got in 1959.  It was my grandparents first color set 15 years later.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 06:49:04 AM »
I got the bakelite cabinet all cleaned up and polished with Turtle Wax liquid car polish.  This cabinet inside was the nastiest thing I've seen.  It must have been stored in someone's shed for years.  I also got the wax caps replaced in the amp/tuner today.

--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 06:51:51 AM »
I also sanded the back third of the motorboard tonight in prep for painting.  Got the rust spots down real smooth, and in some places, went down to the bare metal.  I'm going to mask and cover the rest of the changer and underneath, and just spray paint the back third of the board.  It's too much trouble to remove everything from the motorboard........
--Larry

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 10:19:07 AM »
My first Zenith H-725 radio, an AM-FM table radio with a round dial like yours, was a salvage find by my Alabama grandmother, who would always set aside cool radios for me.  It had been a kitchen radio for some people she worked for, and the steel dial ring had been coated with food splatters that affected the lacquer and also led to some rust spots.  I ended up painting it with gold paint, using press-on numbers followed by a clear coat.  It looks good.  Not a perfect restoration--the gold paint doesn't exactly replicate the original brass plating--but it's a lot better looking than it was.

One warning--if your AM/phono version also has the selenium rectifier located underneath the speaker, replace it with a silicon diode.   On mine, the selenium rectifier had a dramatic death one day when I had stepped out of my office. It burned up the speaker cone when it died.  I added speaker terminals and use an external speaker wit that one, but it's much better to avoid the drama.

Chis Campbell

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »
Chris, no selenium rectifier in this one.  It has a rectifier tube.  There is a tone control mounted in the middle of the speaker.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 06:40:05 PM »
Old flocking now removed from the platter.  I used a putty knife and the stuff just came right off.  Then, went over the entire top and edges with rags dipped in lacquer thinner.  It's now ready to be reflocked. I'm going to order a reflocking kit tonight.
--Larry

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 11:19:26 PM »
Is that turntable stamped steel or some sort of cast metal?  Can't tell from the photo.  And how about the idler wheel--where does it run?  Looks like not much horizontal surface on the rim.  I've got an old Lenco turntable, a variable-speed device with an idler that runs in the vertical plane, not on the rim.  Same thing here?

Chris Campbell

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 12:48:15 AM »
These Cobra-matics have two idlers, a large one that runs against the motor shaft, and a small vertical idler that runs on top of the large idler.  It's a strange set-up, but seems to work really well.  The rim of the platter isn't used.

The platter is a heavy cast metal of some type, almost looks like pot metal, but sure it's better than that. 
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 12:54:15 AM »
I finished the recap of the bakelite Zenith tonight, and I HAVE SOUND!!!!

The set sounds really good and loud on phono, but there's some squealing on AM radio on part of the dial.  Think the IF cans and the antenna trimmer needs adjustments.

--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 10:51:20 AM »
The bakelite set's changer is all done except for flocking the platter.  Yesterday I painted the back third of the motorboard after masking everything off. It turned out quite nice.  This morning I waxed and buffed the plastic trim parts.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 08:37:37 PM »
My reflocking kit from Flock It. com arrived today, and I got the platter done.  Have to let it dry for at least 24 hours before use.  It's really simple to re-flock a platter, and they look soooooooooooooo much better.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 06:08:45 AM »
Flocking a platter is easy...a kid can do it.  Here's the procedure:

First you remove the old flocking from the platter.  I used a putty knife and got 95 percent of it off with that.  Then, dip a rag in lacquer thinner and remove any remaining residue or old flocking on the platter, including the edge.........

Then buy a flocking kit from Flock It.com... I bought the rayon kit... $26, plus shipping.  You get 3 oz. of flocking, an adhesive that contains paint the same color as the flocking, a brush, and an a two part mini-flocker tube......

All you do is quickly coat the platter with the adhesive, being sure you coat every place on it well. You have the flocking in the applicator tube and start flocking, walking around the box you have it in.  Before you start, fill the spindle hole with some filler to keep the adhesive from running down inside the brass spindle bushing.

You continue to walk around the box and flock it for probably 10-15 minutes.  When you think you have enough, add some more....   Then let it set and cure for 24-48 hours... then any excess can shake off ... or you can brush it off with a soft brush when it's ready to use.  That's it.  A kid can do it.

A friend of mine advised that I shake off the excess flocking after 24 hours, then set the platter aside and let it dry another 24 hours before using it, just to be on the safe side.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 06:41:24 AM »
Another problem arises with these flip-clips that Zenith and Collaro used for their changers.  If you turn the flip clips to a vertical position, the springs fall off their posts.  If you try placing the springs in their proper place on the plinth, it is difficult to line up the four posts.  The springs keep falling out into the bottom of the cabinet if you don't line up the posts properly.  What I did is to remove the clips, then I went to my local hardware store with one of the threaded mounting posts and a spring.  I had the guy find me some nuts that would fit the thread, then go down inside the spring to secure it to the motorboard.  I also bought four washers that were slightly larger than the upper small cone end of the spring.  What you do is install a washer, then the spring, and then a nut, turning the nut all the way down until it tightens the spring permanently against the motorboard.  Then, you can easily remove or reinstall the changer at any time in the future.

I installed the nuts inside the springs of all the Collaro changers in my Magnavox sets and kept the flip-clips in place.  The Collaro's have longer posts than the Zeniths have, plus the clips are much easier to rotate.  It is a PITA to rotate the clips on a Zenith, so I just did away with them.  Had the posts been a half inch longer, I could have used a couple of the RCA pinch-clips to secure the changer to the motorboard.  You actually don't need clips anyway on a record player that isn't portable, or on a console.
--Larry