Author Topic: Re-Purposed Motorola Record Changer  (Read 528 times)

calemstevens

• View Profile
Re-Purposed Motorola Record Changer
« on: November 29, 2016, 10:29:47 PM »
Hello all,

I came across a good deal on this Motorola record changer that had been pulled (sadly) from its console. I've always loved these changers and the way they look. I have a complete Motorola 3 channel record console and the changer is identical. Works like a champ, so I figured I'd snag this one and start a project of building a plinth for it to make it a stand-alone record changer.

If someone could straighten me out on a few things...

How would I re-wire the power to this? I see  red/black/white and grey cords leading to various places. Would it be as simple as a wire going to the motor and another going to the on/off relay switch? Is the voltage gonna be too much coming straight from a wall outlet?

Thanks in advance and let me know if any other photos would be helpful.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Re-Purposed Motorola Record Changer
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 11:32:38 PM »
While some old devices used the motor in series with electronics, tube filaments as I recall, this one is a plain old V-M changer with a full-voltage motor--note the label on the motor's coil, "117 V 60 cycle." 

Chris Campbell

calemstevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:39:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply Chris, so according to that label it shouldn't burn up the motor by just wiring it straight to a power cord...

I also plan on installing an on/off indicator light somewhere on the plinth. Wouldn't that just consist of putting it inline with the motor positive and maybe a resistor to protect the bulb from blowing? (I knew I should've taken some sort of circuitry classes in school...  ::) )

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
Better to just put the light in parallel with the motor winding--otherwise you'd be dropping the voltage to both motor and bulb.

Chris Campbell